Thursday 9 February 2023

From GeoffreyT: Elves, Pirates and Germans (World Cinema)(90 points)

Hello Challengers,

From the Fantasy Studio, I walk east into the World Cinema Studio, where I expect to find film from places outside of Australia.

First I find some 28mm scale Christmas Elves.  Christmas Elves live with Santa Claus in Finland, I'm sure Teemu can validate this.

The left on the left is nominally 'ME31 Silvan Elf', from Citadel Miniatures Middle Earth licensed range circa 1985. It looks like a Christmas Elf to me, so I reclassified it. The walking Christmas decoration  on the right has been rattling around my miniatures storage box for some time. I cant say exactly where it was from, but was an extra added to a Christmas time order. Has elf shoes, so is a Christmas elf.

Next we have some film stars from the Caribbean. Pirates with cannon.

I got these second hand, so not sure of the brand of them.

The wheels were missing from the big gun, and the guy with the big cutlas had lost his weapon, so both needed some repair.


They are wearing classic pirate striped pants.


Finally we have some German cyclists, somewhere in occupied Europe.

These are 3D prints.  I was given them, so not sure of supplier.  They are very nicely detailed and crisp.

There is a lady on one bike, qualifying this post for Sarah's Choice.

So we have three different historically accurate miniature groups from three different locations; Finland, the Spanish Main and Occupied Europe. Clearly none of these are in Australia where I live, so this qualifies for the "World Cinema" bonus.

Points:

6 x 28mm foot = 30 points

2 x 28mm Guns = 20 points (seems a points bargain for those)

2 x 28mm mounted = 20 points.

World Cinema Bonus = 20 points

Total = 90 points.


Kind regards and see you next week in the Historical Drama Studio.

Geoff.

From TeemuL: I can confirm your geographical knowledge, Santa Claus lives in Finland with his elves. The Christmas elves actually are more like dwarfs, they are rather small and usually (males) have a beard. Based on this, your Christmas elf reclassification is a bit far fetched, but I let it go. :)

Pirates with cannon look great and the leader seems to have a proper sized sword, too. Or is that a knife in Australia? There was a discussion about knives in one Crocodile Dundee movies... The cycling Germans have a tough job going around the France with all those passengers and equipments, but luckily they have a decent road to go on. There's a passenger, which you didn't include in your calculations, but since you got a bargain with the cannons, I guess it evens out the score nicely.

It would be nice to have a map and hear some news from the Red Zone...

11 comments:

  1. Great lot... but that walking elf Christmas decoration has quite a suspicious shape

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting mix of figures for the post - especially like the cyclist figures. Great stuff.
    Cheers JezT

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great stuff, love the cyclists and the walking present. Santa lives at the North Pole. Finland has no territory bordering the North Pole, but Canada does....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aha! I guess I know what is the topic of my next "informational message"...

      Delete
  4. Great looking pirates and Christmas elves and I especially like the Germans on bicycles , although I am worried about the chap with the passenger and extra kit, I bet there's no gears and he'll have to cycle backwards to brake, it will all end in tears!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  5. Excellent figures Geoff. I like the pirates.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cracking stuff Geoff. I need more pirates in my life. Yours are inspiring me.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like the cyclists, but especially the pirates. And the shoehorned Christmas elf!

    ReplyDelete