Tuesday 7 March 2023

From Curt: 'Brutes' for Turnip28 (30 Points)

 

Hey Everyone!

Though I have not posted much these past few weeks I have been steadily working on several projects all at once (yes, I know, no surprises there). With Dave raising his standard on keeping Tuesday 'Turnip Free' I couldn't resist pressing on with this root vegetable entry to mess with his lofty edict. :)

For this year's Challenge I wanted to see if I could complete two baseline forces for Turnip28. They're not quite there yet, but I am inching ever closer. I've managed to finish the line infantry ('Fodder'), light infantry ('Chaff'), the light cavalry ('Welps') and the artillery ('Stump Guns' and Bombard). So, for this entry I have a contingent of the heavy infantry, 'The Brutes'.

In game terms, Brutes are both more resilient and somewhat better skilled (less bad?) than their fellow foot sloggers. Not as numerous as the Fodder, being composed of only 6 figures, Brutes still make a valuable storm group to help take down nastier targets.

Like most of my Turnip stuff, these guys are from Knucklebones Miniatures. I quite like the brutal, inelegant, slabbed trench armour they're sporting. It makes them imposingly bulky, and fairly easy to identify on the tabletop. Again, I've laid on heavy with the rust, and festooned them with mushrooms and flora all in the fun of it.

I have another group primed-up and ready to go, but I'm not sure if I'll get them done in time as I'm trying to get some other stuff across the finish line first.

Anyway, these six armoured knuckledraggers should give me 30 Points. 

Next up will be the objective markers.

Thanks for dropping in for a look, and HAPPY TURNIP TUESDAY!!

- Curt




See what you've done, Dave? I did warn you that your taunts would provoke him to submit Turnip stuff for posting on Tuesdays, but would you listen?

Lovely but bonkers stuff, Curt!

Tamsin

26 comments:

  1. As said in previous entries, cannot say wahts these things are, but they look terrific and there's a lot of creativity in them. Fantastic project Curt!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Benito. It's all about the fun of it.

      Delete
  2. Lovely but weird. Dave D brought this on himself. I kinda wish I could post Turnips on Tuesdays.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now, that would be fun. Right Dave? :)

      Delete
  3. No no no! Even if .they do look vaguely edible . Vegetables have feeling to you . Keep Tuesday mostly Turnip free. Now we need the mathemagistical data on which days have had the most to lead amount of thus root vegetable nonsense - so we know where to deploy the weed killer - it’s a derivative of Millsbegone

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's people like Curt that put carrot in cakes...

      Delete
    2. Mmm, carrot cake... Actually, this inspires me to get some carrots represented in my force.

      Delete
  4. The Brutes look really great, Curt! I like the adhoc, shabby, rusted armor on them....I am disappointed you didn't make the spud to air AA gun though! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the idea of a huge spud gun...

      Delete
  5. Great entry Curt of superbly rusted figures that must have been a joy to paint. We'll let you off this week

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kerry. Granted, not as fun as Napoleonics, but they were a good diversion (and a much smaller group than your typical Nap unit).

      Delete
  6. Great painting but I still don't get it

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You don't need to get it, buddy. Just relax and roll with the root. *long exhale*

      Delete
  7. Not sure how Dave feels about you sticking it to him with a turnip! Lovely, weird as work regardless. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's all about the foreplay. :) Wait 'til I do some veggie VCs for Nam. That'll perk him up.

      Delete
  8. Oh wow, they look like the fantasy vision of Extinction Rebellion! Great brushwork dude, totally eerie and unsettling, perfect for the setting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, thanks Greg. I'll be thinking of that when I see them on the table next. 'Fight for the Fennel! Let the Radish Rage!!'

      Delete
  9. As always very disturbing yet wonderful brush work Curt. Fun project.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Splendid vegetable troops!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Iain. They appreciate your accolades. :)

      Delete
  11. Whatever the day, I still don’t quite grasp the gist of this turnip tantrum, but these are again quite impressive, Curt. Love the mushrooms!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's ALL about the mushrooms, Martijn. :)

      Delete
  12. And the turnip invasion continues! Great work Curt

    Cheers Matt

    ReplyDelete