Tuesday 7 March 2023

From Kerry T - Tirailleurs -Grenadiers of the Young Guard 15mm AB Figures( 114 points )

 Morning, afternoon & evening all

I thought I'd have a change from Italian Wars this week and also drop down a size and return to my first love 15mm Napoleonics

Before I do I thought I'd hitch another lift from Lady Sarah courtesy of Molly Miggins

A Blue Moon Figure

Its probably fitting that Molly's wearing a blue dress as she's a Blue Moon Figure from the Duelists pack, I hope to finish the rest of the pack for next week's entry.

Does my bum look big in this?

Molly has directed the chauffeur to my 4th Blue studio so she can show a leg and try and catch the eye of heartthrob Colonel Joshua Chamberlain of 20th Maine fame. Clearly Colonel Chamberlain, otherwise know as Jeff Daniels intends to single handedly charge the 15th Alabama and chase them from the field at Gettysburg.


He has to charge alone because he's the only 28mm ACW figure I think I have


As you can see, success there's not a rebel in sight (I don't have any!)


Decorum prevents the showing of any subsequent liaison between Molly and her man. For the record, JC was a free figure giveaway at an UK show a few years ago, not sure who sculpted him but I have a feeling he's a Perry Miniature 

Next up some 15mm AB figures, a battalion of Young Guard Tirailleurs-Grenadiers

Purists will spot at least 2 mistakes


Any ideas? Any Napoleonic Fan(ions) out there?


Look at me mum, I'm outside Hougoumont


Clue 2 Nice Uniforms -Set the standard?



Ok I'll come clean

The big mistake is the flag, it needs to be changed - its wrong but too late for the entry though.
The flag carried is that of the Fusilier Grenadier Regiment of the Middle Guard not the Tirailleurs-Grenadiers- oops! I'll have to order a replacement from GMB Flag Designs. I only realised this after I took the pictures

The second mistake is the setting. The unit is painted up in the 1809 regimental uniform and would not have been present at Waterloo as they became the 1st & 2nd Tirailleurs in 1810. They have a different uniform

At Waterloo the Young Guard Division consisted of the 1st and 3rd Tirailleurs and 1st & 3rd Voltigeurs. Even then the Young Guard  would not have been anywhere near Hougoumont but were sent to reinforce Plancenoit So much for historical accuracy but I plead Wargamers' and war film director's licence.😀

Anyone interested in painting the or collecting the Young Guard would be best looking at this superb blog by the very knowledgeable R Mark Davies http://www.jemimafawr.co.uk/2019/08/26/la-garde-au-feu-my-15mm-french-imperial-guard-part-4-the-young-guard-uniforms-and-painting/
Its a brilliant resource.

A Young Guard division is a great Napoleonic asset and I often use them in a game and will vary their morale as needed from Elite to conscript depending on the scenario

My studio visits to date

So in summary then

2 x 28mm figures@ 5 points = 10

Lady Sarah's Limousine & Wild West studio = 40 points

32 x 15mm figures @ 2 points = 64 points

Total 114 points 

1 Squirrel



Even with the errors, those Tirailleurs of the Young Guard look excellent, as do Molly and JC.


Tamsin

18 comments:

  1. Lovely brushwork as usual, Kerry. Though I'll always have a soft spot for Napoleonics in any scale (it is 'The Beautiful Game' after all), I have to say that Molly has captured my heart for this submission. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh love those Young Guard. Molly is a peach too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Peter you've given me an idea for a Gettysburg after the battle sequel where JC frantically searches amongst the dead at the Peach orchard looking for Molly who was cruelly kidnapped by Dan Sickles prior to the battle!

      Delete
  3. More great work from you. If you have to tell us the mistakes, the it's not that obvious, although you now know so you have to sort it

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Martin, some Napoleonic gamers have a reputation for being err... very particular!

      Delete
  4. Mistakes or not the AB stuff is glorious. They're beautiful minis and you've done them proud

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Millsy I love them too and these days will not settle for anything else though in my younger days felt the cost was prohibitive. I do love my Minfigs still though

      Delete
  5. Nice,work, Kerry! Those mini naps look grand and you can see the care painted in the detail. I freely admit I did not catch the wrong flag! ;) the Lady is well done too, which explains why Chamberlain is running! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks David its probably just scary hair!

      Delete
  6. All excellent submissions. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very smart - don’t sweat the flag!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Excellent Napoleonics, lovely work, I'm happy to use my 1809 Nassau troops on the other side in 1815, I know heresy but my mantra is close enough is good enough!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  9. The Young Guard taking the wrong exit, typical.They look very good though! Love Molly and Jeff too (although I prefer Jack Daniels myself).

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great work Kerry they look fabulous

    ReplyDelete