Saturday 13 January 2024

From PaulSS - Overdues and Returns - Tirailleurs Sénégalais - 60pts


My first submission for this week are some long overdue Tirailleurs Sénégalais for my WWII 1940 collection.

Back in 2019 Crusader Miniatures released some Senegalese troops to their WWII French range and I placed a pre-order on Northstar and picked up at Partizan during a trip to the UK. 


These were bought back to Wisconsin and I painted a platoon plus some supports for our Chain of Command games. The initial troops are posted over on Scrivsland and here and here. Fortunately the first blog post contained my recipe so I was off to a good start with the colours I used on these.


I've played a few games with them, but although I painted enough infantry for the platoon, there never seemed to be quite enough infantry for flexibility in my forces, so, when Victoria asked if I had any ideas for Christmas presents, I let her know that Badger Games were carrying the range and a couple more packs would be great.


As always the Crusader Miniatures stuff is a delight to paint.

Some close ups showing these great sculpts.





Eight 28mm infantry figures and the location bonus should add 60pts to my total.


Marvellous painting here Paul on some very tasty Crusader models. I really like how the flesh tone came out and the red fezzes are a great pop of colour. Good idea to preserve the paint recipe on your blog - I do the same thing and it has saved my bacon numerous times. Just go back to that first post and the formula is all right there - perfect. The early WWII period is a fun one - you get light tanks aplenty that blow up real good, as well as some cool and unusual units like your Senegalese. Sixty points added!

Dallas

31 comments:

  1. Those are really nice Scrivs. I agree with you on Crusader figures, nice clean lines. They’re kinda toy soldiery but they paint up nicely. I agree with Dallas on the red fezzes because fezzes are cool.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice painting - very atmospheric. Makes an unusual and interesting unit.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very nice, and very clean painting. And something out of the ordinary too, well done!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those are great castings and you've really done them justice. The skin tones are perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You can never go wrong with fezzes. Great work.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great, I'm with you Crusader Miniatures are great figures

    ReplyDelete
  7. These are lovely. The red hats look perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You had me at the Fez. Awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Excellent figures and Fez’s. I have a mix of Senegalese manufactures and just last year added some rifle grenades and LMGs from Crusader (through Badger games). You are so right, they paint up beautifully and yours are exceptional. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bruce. Hopefully we may see some of yours this challenge

      Delete
  10. Great to see something different and your brushwork did the great figures justice - nice to see some colour amid all the khaki as well!

    ReplyDelete
  11. These are stunning, the colors are perfect. great job Paul

    ReplyDelete
  12. Fabulous figures, top draw painting 🖌

    ReplyDelete
  13. Very nice painting, particularly the skin tones.

    ReplyDelete