Saturday 13 January 2024

From PaulSS - WWII German limbers and AA guns - 54pts

 

I'd already hit my painting goals for the week, but decided to pull out the stops and add some more bits to the 12 WWII collection that I started in Challenge XIII and recently added more US supports to.


Even in the later stages of the war, much of the German army was relying on horse drawn transports, so I decided that my German units for O Group would be relying on horse-drawn limbers for their supports rather than motor vehicles. I added four to my most recent order from Pendraken.


The horses were painted with Citadel Contrast paints, I think they work well for horse flesh at this scale, while the limbers themselves and the crews were done in Vallejo Model Colour with an Army Painter wash.




I also painted a pair of 2cm FlaK38 for close air defence of the forces. I wish that Pendraken did some additional crew packs, all these guns look rather sparse with only two crewmen.



I really should have squirrelled this year, I've painted so many different things. 

So, for my total, it's four vehicles, two guns, 16 horses and 8 crew, which at 12mm is 54 points.

Great stuff here Paul, I agree that horse transport for the Germans is significantly under-represented on the wargames table. Not everybody was able to get a motorized tow from a truck or halftrack! The models look great as always and 2cm flak guns always come in handy. Looking forward to more and some reports on "O" Group!

Dallas


25 comments:

  1. Horses look great. You rarely see them on the table.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really like these Paul, as. Dallas says it’s great to see horse drawn transport. Including tows makes a lot of sense at O group scale. You’ve got twice as many limbers as guns, does that mean one is for ammo or you’ve got other guns in need of a lift. The 20mm can be useful against land targets as well as aircraft,.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Peter, I already have some PaK and iG that need a tow.

      Delete
  3. Those are really nice Paul, its always good to see limbers on the table, whatever the period

    ReplyDelete
  4. The contrast paints worked out great on the horses - going to try that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Pete, would reccomend, these were over a sand coloured primer.

      Delete
  5. @Dallas, thank you, I do really need to play some more games.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, these are very nice! They have a very Napoleonic feel to them, don’t they? I really don’t like limbers and horse teams but these are great, especially since you don’t see them a lot on the Wargames table. Great work, Paul!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely work Paul. It's great to see these more prevalent modes of transport on the tabletop.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Excellent work Paul. I really enjoy your putting the true transports on the table. Love the wee horses.

    ReplyDelete
  9. They do look good in this scale!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Really good work Paul -- painting all that horse furniture at such a small scale must be a real pain but the final result is worth it

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Simon, I had them mounted in a line on a tongue depressor for painting so it was not such a big problem.

      Delete
  11. Great to see some WW2 stuff, and amazingly done at that scale there. Especially the horses which I find difficult in 28mm much less this scale! Kudos!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm glad you did as these look great, who doesn't love horse drawn AA. great post Paul

    ReplyDelete
  13. Definitely a rarity on the table and these are lovely to see 👀

    ReplyDelete