Saturday 13 January 2024

From ChrisW 5th Foreign Legion Grav ambulance 15mm (New aquisitions) 28 points

 

Hello all

Well this years challenge looks like it will be much more of a challenge than I thought it would be.  I almost did not sign up this year as I had really hit a painting block, I just could not pick up a paint brush. Oh I have plenty of stuff to paint (of course) and I kept ordering more stuff to paint (of course) and I really want to paint it all, but I just could not do it, I had lost my mojo! However it was for that reason that I ultimately did sign up, counting on the challenge to inspire and propel me back into painting. Well it has not entirely worked, so far. Here I am a little more than a week away from the challenge cut deadline and I have nothing done. To add to the lack of mojo I recently had a change in medicine (not for anything too serious) that has made me drowsy and lacking in drive. The end result, up until now, is zero production. But, that Challenge entry deadline at least has motivated me enough to complete one vehicle.

So, the item I present today is a 15mm Brigade models ambulance from their Pac fed contingent. It is somewhat ironic and not entirely planned that the first thing that I painted would be an ambulance given what I said above. This was a test paint to see if I liked the paint scheme and it took a few tries to get it to something that I liked. It is 1 of around 24 vehicles that I plan to paint for this particular army. Most of these vehicles arrive on the first day of this years challenge, with the remainder arriving last week, so clearly they fit into the new acquisitions category. I will also have around 100 infantry (GZG FSE) to paint up but they will not arrive until February. 

I guess it is appropriate, given the theme for this years challenge, that my inspiration for this first entry and one of my bigger projects, is a book, the one pictured above (a rather entertaining yarn!) I have ordered a lot of aliens from Alternative armies to represent the native aliens in the book, plus more aliens for when I tackle the second book.  I also have a lot of tracked AFVs for the native aliens. 

Anyways here is my first attempt this year.


The base is a work in progress, I am not yet certain how big a base I want. My thoughts are that I want a base so that any damage markers can be placed on the base and thus easily move with the vehicle.


I have not used decals in many years, for some reason I always thought of them as tricky temperamental things to apply. Well I was right, they are a pain, at least these ones were. Admittedly they were rather old decal perhaps that is why they were so unwilling to separate from their backing. At any rate with only some minor tearing I was able to affix them.

Anyways that is it for today.

  •   8 points for 1 x 15mm vehicle 
  • 20 points for new acquisitions

Total 28 points

Thank you

Chris, thanks for the post. I'm sorry to hear of your challenges with health and painting energy, but I'm really glad the latter seems to be returning. You've done a great job with the grav ambulance and this whole "Fifth Foreign Legion" thing intrigues me! I'm looking into that series now, and my interest is only piqued the more because of the resemblance of your model to the stuff in Hammer's Slammers, another classic SF series (albeit your stuff is grav, not blower-operated, but what the heck). The decals look great and need cause no fear, just make sure to gloss varnish the areas where they'll be applied and use copious quantities of Micro-Sol (or more exotic liquids like my favourite Japanese concoction, "Mr. Mark Softer" :-)

That's 28 points to open your ledger!

Dallas  

33 comments:

  1. The hardest part is to restart. It's always too easy to plan more or wait until all of it arrives. Congrats on the first model of the new year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looking at how good that is Chris, I think we're all in for a treat if your mojo does come back - best wishes

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great to see that you’ve broken your duck. Hope that. You’ve got things sorted out and are back in the swing. No idea about the setting but cool little vehicle.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Keep it up Chris. I'm sure once you get on a roll the paint will flow. Great start. I hope things start to improve for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks I hope to see some more of these get done this week

      Delete
  5. Hang in there Chris. This is a great piece and will hopefully help get your painting mojo back. Looking forward to seeing more of this project!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely job for your first post. Sometimes that lack of motivation can be a bind, I had a similar malaise for the few months before the challenge, but soon got it shifted once I got into my groove.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good to you in Chris! I hope that the Challenge inspires you, I know I have already painted more than in all the time since the previous Challenge. Anyway, i would certainly love to see more of your work based on this sci-fi ambulance (I did’nt even know that was a thing, really). All the best, and keep it going!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Hope to have more done this week.

      Delete
  8. Great to see this entry, Chris. It can be a struggle to get back into painting again, but I hope the Challenge helps you get over the hump. I look forward to seeing more from you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Curt! You really have assembled a great group of people, very encouraging as is the Challenge.

      Delete
  9. Very crisp and clean space sled Chris. Glad you found some paint time and you were able to post this work. Keep at it and all the best.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great effort to break the ice after painters block, may there be many more posts to come this year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I will be able to get a few more done :) thanks

      Delete
  11. I hope that having this first entry under your belt helps you get back to painting regularly, it looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  12. That is a nice AFV. Hope the hobby pipes become unblocked.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Good to have you back. I guess positive peer pressure is the way to go. Keep them coming, we want more!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup, pressure and a commitment can sometimes move lead mountains.

      Delete
  14. I loved that series as a late teenager - and still have the paperback on my shelf! Later, they inspired me to make a 6mm FSE force for Dirtside so I feel great affinity for your project and hope to see more of it here!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am actually using Dirtside for the rules, slightly modified.

      Delete
  15. Great entry here and hope to see more from you in the challenge. I find that seeing everyone else's work spurs me on to paint more this time of year. Which in turn breaks my painting slowdown and keeps me going till mid summer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, thanks to the Challenge the last two years saw me paint up a lot of stuff, it is a great motivator

      Delete
  16. wonderful painting, here Menelduir, but what I love about this post is your raw honesty that sometimes life is hard and flat, and even the things that we love can slip into the grind of life. By painting this one figure you stepped back up to the plate and hit a home run. I look forward to seeing more of you work, whether one or many. I hope the love of painting stirs again and you begin to feel a joy and freedom as you paint.

    ReplyDelete
  17. That's a great looking vehicle, reminds me of Captain Scarlett 😀

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great start to this project. I look forward to seeing the other vehicles and infantry.

    ReplyDelete