Saturday 13 January 2024

From SebastianR: A quick jaunt through [History] (27 points)

What is history?

What gets taught as history and what counts as current events?


The Harrier V/STOL entered it's concept phase in the 60's and entered official service in '69. It's most iconic deployment was during the Falklands war. The last production line was closed in 2003 and although it's a darling of the USMC it's list of former operators now outnumbers it's list of current operators. Britain, the country of it's inception, has replaced them with the American F35. The air environment has changed so significantly that this once technological marvel can no longer deliver the capability expected of it from the vast majority of it's operators.

So, is the Harrier history? It's most famous engagements were fought before my parents met. It's production lines closed before I left high school. My frame of reference for this aircraft, beyond wargaming, is documentary specials, dripping with nostalgia for Plucky British Ingenuity (TM).

I'm really pleased with this paint job. It think it's come out really nicely, although I still can't seem to nail the gloss/pinwash technique.

Ok, that's enough worrying the older members of the challenge as to what planes they thought were current gen really aren't ;)

Here's an Agincourt archer if you're not convinced of my case for the Harrier.

E's flippin' off tha' Frenchies n' all

The salute 2015 freebie as well, my first salute if I remember properly.


Now that's some proper history that is.

7 points for the figures, 20 for the challenge.


I agree, I really like that Harrier! You've really aced that one with the colours and the camo, well done. The longbowman is excellent as well - back in the day (perhaps before you were born?) the Perry twins sculpted an archer in a similar pose for Wargames Foundry's medieval range, it's one of my favourites. You did a great job on this one - 27 points for you!

Dallas

12 comments:

  1. Given my little ID picture here I have to applaud that plucky Cavalier figure -- the harrier is neat also, which reminds me that I must add some air assets to my Cold War army!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice work on this classic of the cold war, and the archer is pretty cool too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gotta love a jump jet! I am slowly coming to terms with the idea that the things I remember from my uni days are now “history”. My mum had a story of getting bored while my RN dad played rugby on a base and took a walk around until she stumbled on a test of a preproduction Harrier doing its stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nicely done Sebastien, another relic f my childhood retired, just like the Buccaneers practicing low level over our house in the 70's

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great archer.. he must also not like the cold and giving it a proper salute!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I do have a soft spot for the Harrier!

    ReplyDelete
  7. what I love is that the two entries are worlds apart but both look so cool great work Sebastian

    ReplyDelete
  8. The Harriet always spoke to my imagination, you did a fine job on it. And Nice clean painting on the archer. Again a very cost-effective post, good show!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely Harrier Sebastian and a plucky salute by your archer. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Seeing the Harrier brings back memories - well done, nice archer too

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wonderful work Sebastian. I have distinct memories of being transfixed by the Harriers work during the Falklands War.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is like Supermarket Sweep in a library 😆 great stuff

    ReplyDelete