Monday 15 January 2024

From PeterB: A Clowder* of Cats and more - Children's Books - 85 points

 So my first post of this week, I have painted a full set of models from Crooked Dice Studio. They are a collection of Mutants from across their range of TV inspired models. After having great fun painting a whole range of characters from the Masters of Universe range from Archon Studios over the last year, I felt these would also be fun to paint, Especially if I painted them to look like characters from one of my favourite cartoons from my younger days, Thundercats.




I chose to paint these in a clear, crisp style. Not too much drybrushing or shading. No inks and colours as accurate as possible. The models are surprisingly detailed and took some effort to get accurate. The fun was in keeping the lines clean and not relying on inks or washes to hide any imperfections.




I have to say I thoroughly enjoyed painting these. When painting historical miniatures it is surprising how much brown there is, coupled with the painters friend, a brown wash, its amazing how brown miniatures end up looking from a distance. I display some models on a vintage printers tray hanging on my wall, which is also brown. These models were in contrast bright and colourful, even the bad guys.



The big boss bad guy in Thundercats, called Mumm-Ra appeared in one of two forms in most episodes. A tiny mummy that chewed the scenery like The Emperor in Return of the Jedi and then a Japanese animation style transformation occured and he become more muscled than skeletor and with a dramatic up-gust of wind making his cape billow.



Of course, he has to have his cronies.





This is my fourth visit in the library to the section for Childrens books. I'm sure its clear why.


The Points


13 x 28mm miniatures at 5 points each = 65 points

Bonus points for Childrens books = 20 points

Total 85 points

* Yes, I looked it up, a collective noun for cats is a clowder. Every day is a school day.

 

Sylvain: A very colorful submission with pastel tones, as if it was summer somewhere (hint, not in Canada)...  I really like the crazy hairstyles on some of the models as well as the cartoonish design of some other miniatures, which your painting style neatly highlighted.Well done! 

11 comments:

  1. These figures a so good, love the painting style which just brings them to life the pastel colors are the perfect choice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is firing up some very old memories...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really nice work on these, they could be stepping right out of the cartoon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow - always some unusual projects in the Challenge, and this is no exception - nice work on these!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You really nailed the Thundercats look.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very nice mutants and I like your bold colour choices. Very different to paint than brown historicals.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Splendid work, Your colour palette really matches the source material.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great looking figs, a real cartoon look to them 😀

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very Saturday morning cartoons for me Peter. Splendid brush work on these very crisp cartoon characters.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nice painting and basing! Cheers JezT

    ReplyDelete