Monday 15 January 2024

From AdamC: Captain Smith House Local History (25 Points)

Progress through the Library I failed to provide this in the past weeks so here it is .


Down the road from me is Battle Road National Park and the Captain Smith House is one of the locations you can visit. Fight passed by and around this house and one wounded English soldier was left here. He was cared for by the Smith family but succumbed to his wounds and was buried on the property.

This 15mm version of the building is made by "Things From The Basement" an excellent 'local' terrain company.

The real Smith House has red doors and trim but I opted for yellow (also a period color choice) because I actually have another building in this scale with the red trim and I didn't want too much repetition. 
I used gray for the shingles (natural weathering)
Tan for the main building again the wood of the wall has been left to weather naturally and has taken on a tan/gray color. It's too even but the best I could manage.
The chimney is the artistic gem of the piece both here and on the historic house.

For points the house is about 3 inches by 3 inches and is about 3 inches tall. Intuitively that's half a 6*6*6 cube.... But I think the actual math is significantly less (1/4... stupid square cube low) I believe the building would be worth 5 points with another 20 for the local history.

Sylvain: It's always nice to see real buildings reproduced as miniatures. Your example is just stunning and the details on the chimney add a touch of cool. The math says that it should be 1/8 of a 6x6x6 cube, but 5 points seems fair to me given the details.

 I added the labels for you. Hope I did not miss any. 

 

 

 

18 comments:

  1. Great looking house Adam and great bit of local history. Which battle does the road relate to? Sylvain get 100% on his math, you not so much....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. battle of Lexington and Concord in 1775. There is a reason I am not an engineer like my dad

      Delete
  2. Nice little house, Adam. I'm with Peter wondering what it historically relates to. The original looks like it needs to be in one of those reno TV programs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It restored more or less to the date it was in at the time of the battle of Lexington and Concord in 1775.

      Delete
    2. Cool! My cousin used to live across the road from Lexington Green and I have visited the Concord site as well.

      Delete
  3. Really lovely little house and great to see the real thing I agree that that chimney stack is really smart! Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your Smith House is looking good, Adam, and nice to learn a little bit of its history!

    ReplyDelete
  5. the building is very cool, lots of detail

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Things form the Basment makes excellent stuff!

      Delete
  6. A distinctive and recognisable chimney!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good looking house, even if not worth lot of points. The chimney is very interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Replies
    1. Thanks, Things from the Basement desrves much of the credit

      Delete
  9. Wonderful looking house Peter and tops for history behind it. Well done.

    ReplyDelete