Monday 15 January 2024

From Lorenzo: 1848 Danish Rifleman (32pts)

This is my second submission and it is another special unit for my First Schlieswig Holstein Wars (1848-1851). In this case we have some rifleman or light infantry from the Royal Danish Army.
This first photo shows these are conversions and not just repaints like the Guards were. I started this unit by first hunting down suitable head gear. The reality is this war has no ranges available in any scale except Pendrakens 10mm.
The great thing about 1/72 or 20-25mm is it is small enough to skip detail and large enough to consider each figure indidviually.
If I did want divisions and corps I would be at Pendrakens door or down to 6mm etc. But I want individual figures and 20mm is where that starts for me. I tried 15mm Ancients and again found it fell between two stools too big for big battles and too small for details to be appreciated. Injection Plastic ranges permit multiple purchases because of price and therefore also modificiation.
So I ended up with World War One British in this case because their flat caps in 1914 were the nearest match for my Danish.
The 1914 tunics can just about do for the frock coat although the rifles and ammo belts are wrong - but in 1/72 plastic land you can tolerate that. The puttees are another problem though - so out comes the toilet roll and glue. Long trousers with turnups and spats were quite the thing in 1848.
All in all I am pleased with the outcome. At three feet on the warboard they will work.
Basing wise although most rules show light infantry multibased I have gone for individuals on one penny pieces which are cheaper than buying mdf circles. I dug out some ancient GW basing stones and then added some javis fine green turf.

I reckon its just 8 x 4 pts as they are another "new aquisition" so thats 32 points I believe.

Sylvain: A very nice submission about an army rarely seen in gaming. All this is new knowledge to me. I hope more will come in the next few weeks.

 

9 comments:

  1. Great work Lorenzo, and a great era to game!

    ReplyDelete
  2. awesome post Lorenzo, never heard of these chaps before thanks for sharing, nice job on the figures

    ReplyDelete
  3. The conversions are very convincing. Nice work.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Excellent work, love that you are gaming this period. I don not envy you working with those soft plastic figures however, gives me flashbacks to converting Airfix Napoleonic in the 70s.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great work Lorenzo. I love seeing people do these less-trodden periods of history.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well done, some great Danes and I don't mean the dog 😀

    ReplyDelete
  7. Excellent figures Lorenzo. Your conversion are top notch and I look forward to more of this project.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Interesting period and nice conversion work!

    ReplyDelete