Saturday 17 February 2024

From DallasE: Legionaries of Legio XIII Gemina (76 points)

Having painted a load of hairy Germanic tribesmen so far I thought I'd change gears for a bit and work on some Romans. For this week's entry I've completed a unit of 15 Legionaries of Legio XIII Gemina.

The models are a mix of monopose metal Foundry and Warlord Games figures, with a couple Warlord Games plastics thrown in. Fortunately the plastic Legionaries mix in really well with the much older Foundry sculpts. 

The command group are all Warlord metals. Sorry about the lion on the vexillum, I really wasn't feeling it this morning and it kind of looks that way. But it's a lion, I swear. What I do really like is the metal mask worn by the standard bearer. Pretty freaky.

The shield decals are water transfers from Warlord Games. I'm really impressed at how well they came out. They make my previous handpainted shields on the veterans look pretty sad. But these are easy to apply, fit well (even on the old metal Foundry shields!) and look the business.  

I picked Legio XIII as it was one of the longest serving Legions (having been levied by Julius Caesar in 57 BC and hanging around till the 5th century CE), it served in Germany after the disaster at the Teutoburger Wald, and 13 is my number on my beer league hockey team, the Kyle Wellwoods. So there.
 
The legion gained their cognomen "Gemina" (twin) after being reinforced with veterans from other legions following Actium and the end of the Civil War against Mark Antony.

You can hardly tell the WG plastic figure (front centre) from the metal Foundry ones!

I think they look pretty good and being individually based, can be used for skirmish games as well as ranked up for WAB. I'll stick 'em up in the cabinet and call these done.

Scoring:

15x 28mm foot = 75 points

Till next time, enjoy the (long, for some) weekend!

By Paul the Stand-In Minion: 
Good stuff! I've been enjoying your tribesman, so I'm delighted to see some of Rome's finest advance proudly off your painting table.  Noting my own current Caesarian Army project, I'm particularly thrilled that your lads hail from a Legion raised by him - perhaps your Centurion was a new recruit in mine force :-) And speaking of Teutoburger Wald, I just finished listening to Harry Sidebottom's "Give me Back my Legions" which is worth a look too.  The decals look good, but never second guess your older hand painted ones! And take bonus denarii for your hand painted vexillum too! Ave!

14 comments:

  1. Love your Roman Legionaries. The shields enhance your clean crisp painting. I have to admit the freaky mask made me miss your absolutely perfect hand painted lion first time around.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those look great. I really love me some EIR legionaries. You've done them justice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice work Dallas, the mix of figures go well together

    ReplyDelete
  4. Excellen legionaries Dallas -- that standard bearer is really menacing and they work very well together

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice work, and the two ranges do blend well. I really like the vexillum and the signifier himself

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great work. Enjoy the long weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice work Dallas, love the sheilds!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great looking EI Romans Dallas. I'm surprised how the two ranges blend, but shouldn't be as those venerable Foundry castings were the gold standard for this period for years.

    ReplyDelete
  9. some very well painted Romans Dallas!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great looking Romans, good to know the Warlord figures work well with Foundry as I have a crate of Warlord EIR knocking around somewhere!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete