Saturday 17 February 2024

From ChrisW: Rats, trapped like mice [165 points]

 


So, I decided to tackle some critters this week. The impetus was a game of Pulp Alley that I ran this past Sunday. While I did not really need them to represent perils I decided that it would add a little visual appeal to the game if I placed something to represent a sudden threat.

These were the guys I painted up for that game

Then I thought maybe I should try to tackle the other rats that I have. These are all Bones figures of various sizes. So this was the result.

1 skull per base

Then I realized that I was near the Children's section so naturally I decided to parlay this into this became the Pied Piper of Hamelin Hobbiton. This Halfling was the only piper figure that I have, but I feel he fits the bill.

Well, since the Pulp Alley game was set in Egypt, I decided some scarabs might not be to bad to have painted. So these five bases also got painted in time for the game. There are still many more bases of these waiting in the wings, but this will do for now.


Almost forgot this one, a Pulp robot! This has been primed and sitting on my desk since last years challenge. It is from Alternative Armies and is usable for any number of scales, in my case 28mm. It is high upon 100mm tall so I thought I might treat it as a 54mm foot figure (10 points)

Size comparison



Compared to one of my previously submitted 28mm robots

 So, one more book section done...

Points for the rats and scarabs were kind of tough to figure out. But, after a search of the older posts I found a posting for similar rat bases from the past. (scored at at 5 points each). That might be too much, thankfully that is why there are minions!

 http://thepaintingchallenge.blogspot.com/2019/03/from-philh-minor-mythos-monsters-30.html 

I am not certain if that score has been adjusted since then...

So the totals (depending on the rat values)

  • 105 points for 21x 28mm rat bases??
  •     5 points for 1x 28mm Halfling
  •   20 points for Children's book theme
  •   25 points for 5x 28mm Scarab bases??
  •   10 points for very big/tall robot

Squirrels this post +2

Squirrels to date [6]

  • Hammers Slammers
  • Ikwen alien infantry
  • Hanuman (Alien) vehicles 
  • New Swabian league armoured vehicles 
  • Rats
  • Scarabs

Great work here Chris! I've been looking for rats and I'll have to seek out those Reaper Bones models. You've done a cracking job on them, they look really good. I agree with the classification of one base as equal to a 28mm foot figure and 5 points. The piper is good and I'll allow the Children's Books bonus for it as I like the rationale. The Scarabs are cool and I really like the weathering on the Big Bot, he really has an Iron Giant kinda vibe.

A nice round 150 points for you!

Dallas


8 comments:

  1. Blimey, a lot of rats and scarabs. Nice work

    ReplyDelete
  2. I need some of those scarab bases. Very nice work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice rats and scarabs. Really like the giant retro robot

    ReplyDelete
  4. The swarms are great, and so is the weathering on the 'bot.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oooh, I love these pulpy minis. The vermin bases are terrific and the robot looks wonderfully in-theme.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very nice, those piles of rats are fairly scary!

    ReplyDelete