Saturday 17 February 2024

From SylvainR: D&D - 28mm NPCs, Bugs and Manticore (45 points)

Here is a new bunch of very colorful miniatures for my Dungeons & Dragons collection.

I think I mentioned in a previous post that I have been running a D&D campaign for my daughter and her friends for about 6 months now. Four weeks ago, my son expressed an interest in playing as well and since sibling rivalry makes it improbable that they would play together, I am running a second campaign for him. Thus, there is a need in my family for new monsters (that last sentence sounds weird).

I decided that a few NPCs were needed, especially since the hero avatars of my underage children visit a lot of taverns where they drink beer and smoke pipes. So an inn keeper was hired. That model was given to me by one of the local gamers, PeterD maybe? She was intended to be a queen, but I cut out the scepter and lowered her social status. It's a metal model, but I have no idea of the maker. The flute player is a Reaper model I found in the huge "JeremyM donation".


I tried to do a stone tile pattern on the base of the inn keeper, but it looks more like a weird carpet pattern of the 70s.

Before JeremyM gave me a pile of cool D&D miniatures, I started to gather cheap options for monsters. My kids had a game with insect models (I forgot the name of the game, so I can't credit the model maker). Since many parts were missing, it ended up in the garbage but I saved the beetles and the caterpillars.

For colors, I found inspiration from photos of actual beetles but also added details like golden trims in order to fit them in a future Egyptian-theme adventure I have in mind.

For the caterpillars, there are so many colorful options in nature, I just picked two that looked cool.

I am sure the heroes will not be pleased when these buggers will entangle them in silk. By the way, I want to thank Anibal Invictus for suggesting in a previous post to paint bases in a lighter color. It does, indeed, help make the models stand out.

The last model is a Manticore that was given to me by my daughter for my birthday last year. It's a Wizards of the Coast model that I finally got to paint.

It looks scary and I hope it will give the heroes a good fight.

The business end of this model is the tail...

I like the spiky bits coming out of the mane.

Points claimed:

If Dallas agrees, I think the Manticore is big enough to qualify as "mounted".

7 x 28mm foot figurines at 5 points each = 35 points

1 x 28mm mounted figurine at 10 points each = 10 points

 Total = 45 points

Thanks for reading!

Those monsters are great, love the giant bugs and the manticore especially. Your innkeeper and flautist are cool and will certainly come in handy. I think it's perfectly appropriate to paint her base like a '70s carpet given that this was the floor covering of choice for the basements in which many of us started our D&D careers. 

45 points pour vous mon ami!

Dallas 

12 comments:

  1. Great entry Sylvain, nice variety but the caterpillars are my favourite

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent work, love the caterpillars. The Queen was a limited edition Westfalia miniature of Empress Maria Teresa. It was a freebie given away to all participants in a past challenge. I bartered mine away to a gamer in the UK but got a second from Curt.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful work, Sylvain. It's great that David in getting into D&D as well. I particularly love the manticore. And yep, that queen is from me (as Peter says, sourced from Kawe at Westfalia Miniatures).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Some lovely crazy work here. Good work.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like the civvies and the manticore!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wonderful characters and monsters.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice work. I liked the beetles and manticore. Congrats on getting both of your children interested in in-person gaming.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The white trim on the barkeep's dress is a great little detail- nicely done.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nice work, the caterpillars are pretty creepy!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh wow, that's a brilliantly painted collection of beasties!

    ReplyDelete
  11. A great post, I too love the caterpillars. However, the beetles are very nice too and you obviously had excellent taste in the 70's!

    ReplyDelete