Monday 5 February 2024

From FrederickC - Another Quartet of Library Challenges [Nature][Gift Shop][Oversized Books][Biography] (112 points)

 This is the second half of today's Challenge Library Visit, and consists of another two rooms with two sections in each.

First we have Nature in the form of some jungle terrain. Years ago I spotted some foliage mats in a dollar store, each consisting of 36 plants in a 6x6 spike grid. I thought they might be useful for as jungle vegetation, but beyond cutting up some of the grids, not much happened with them. When I saw the Nature category, I thought they would fit the bill. About the same time, my wife found a set of 'Desktop Easter Island Heads' while going through one of our cupboards, and they were just the thing to add a bit of interest to the terrain pieces.The palm trees are from Michael's, and the bases are obsolete CDs. I formed small hillocks on the discs with polystyrene,  and glued down the bases of all the plants. I then applied a layer of spackle to smooth everything out, followed by a coating of sand. Once the bases were painted, some flocking was applied, and the plants stuck back on their bases, as well as the Easter Island Heads. I am quite pleased with how they turned out. A successful 'proof of concept'.




Next is a visit to the Library Gift Shop. Two years ago, my friend, fellow gamer and re-enactor, Dallas, picked up the 'Battle of Pelennor Fields' boxed set from Games Workshop. It contains a lot of great figures, including a Nazgul on a Fel Beast. What is doesn't contain is a figure of 'Gothmog, Lieutenant of Morgul'. Luckily for Dallas, I had an extra metal one in my inventory. Now he will no longer be 'sans Gothmog'.



Now we will move on to the back room to check out the Oversized Books. Initially I wasn't sure what I had that would fit, but then I came across a plastic English Civil War/30 Years War musketeer that was a freebie with an issue of Wargames Illustrated a number of years ago. Perfect to go with the massive tome on my shelves,  'European Weapons & Warfare 1618-1648' by Eduard Wagner. The book weighs in at 1.8 kg, so it definitely qualifies as 'oversized'. The musketeer was a multi-part figure that came with a choice of arms and hats. The broad brimmed hat went to the 'Aragorn to Captain Alatriste' conversion, and the musketeer got the Montero cap.





My last stop, pending approval to visit the 'Rare Books' section, is Biography. In my case, it's going to be something autobiographical. I got into the re-enacting hobby in 1984. In the past 40 years I have worn uniforms of the Seven Years War, the American War of Independence, the Napoleonic Wars, the War of 1812, the American Civil War (both North and South), the First World War, and finally, the Second World War. I like 'total immersion', so I didn't just learn the appropriate drill manual. I also researched aspects of period music, games, cuisine, etc. For the earlier time periods, that included period tailoring, sewing my own uniforms, as well as uniforms for unit members. By far, the fanciest uniform I ever sewed was that of a grenadier of the 40th (Hopson's) Regiment of Foot, circa 1759. I posted a picture of our group being rowed to the Halifax docks from the frigate Rose in my last submission. Shorty after that event, which occurred in 1999, I purchased a 54mm figure from Border Miniatures, designed by Pete Armstrong, of a British line regiment grenadier, circa  1751. Almost a quarter century later, I finally got it painted as a 'self portrait.

Guarding the gates at Fortress Louisbourg
 


 

My Library progress thus far:

I have my cotton gloves ready

 

The points being claimed are as follows:

2 x 28mm foot figures @ 5 points each = 10 points
 
1.6 cubes of terrain @ 20 points each = 32 points
 
1 x 54mm foot figure @ 10 points

4 x Library sections @ 20 points = 80 points 60 points

 

Sylvain: Another impressive submission! I really enjoyed reading about your passion for re-enactment. I also found interesting the miniature of the "mini-you" :-). The jungle fits the bill as well and your creativity is really inspiring.

However, sadly, I will rule that your submission for "Oversized Books" does not match the criteria for "Oversize Books": "For those things that are better when bigger." I admit that the book you are referring to is quite big, but the spirit of the location is to present a model or a project that says "big" by itself. Given the creativity and productivity you have demonstrated so far, I am sure you will find something suitable in no time.

Great work on your SECOND submission of the day! 

 

  

 

 

14 comments:

  1. That is a great photo and the figure is perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent entry I like the 54mm mini you and am relieved Dallas now has a Gothmog and your terrain is delightful!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post Frederick, thanks for the Gothmog! I've heard the sculpt was based on Harvey Weinstein and I can see the resemblance. Also fun to know where Alatriste's hat came from, I was wondering that. The 54mm Grenadier is great too - the resemblance is uncanny!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My god, slow down and give us a chance to catch our breath. Love the heads! Also love the grenadier. My wife were at the first encampment at Louisbourg (as spectators) in 1995, as it turns out one week before the birth of our daughter. It is the perfect spot for such events.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Who would ever wish to be "sans-Gothmog"? That would be untenable! Great work Frederick.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fantastic idea behind the Grenadier

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great work on the grenadier! I was interested to see how your jungles went, as I'm thinking of ways to do these too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you need a more detailed 'step by step', contact Curt about doing an email exchange. Then I can send you more pics of the process, rather than just the final result.

      Delete
  8. Lovely work on the grenadier. I'm often tempted by larger scale minis but never seem to get round to them. I'm intrigued by what else might be in your cupboards if you have Easter Island heads in there!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely painting, that Grenadier looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Excellent grenadier - real character.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love the terrain, and Lotr of course!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I like the Easter Island Heads! Good job.

    ReplyDelete