Monday 4 March 2024

From Lorenzo: 1st Schlieswig Holstein War - Rebel Chasseurs plus History (68 points)

Next up I have completed some more of my forces for the 1st Schlieswig Holstein War. This time they are the Rebels - these were the German speaking people living in Schlieswig Holstein that was ruled by the Danish Monarchy as a Duchy. With two parties claiming ownership, against a background of mass european unrest, war ensued. 1848 was a decisive year for Europe as a whole.
When the war started no one was quite ready so the rebels who were supported by members of the German Confederation acquired some uniforms from the member states. This was important as their own supplies were of course the same colour as their opponents.
These Chasseurs are equipped in part with German style uniforms. This shako was only adopted by Prussia in 1854 for its own Jaeger. Notably they seem to have acquired some old Hanoverian British style water bottles! The figures are British Crimean Light Infantry by Strelets and are in their chunkier style. Like many 1/72 plastics which can vary from 20mm to 26mm! they always look better painted. I used basic vallejo acrylics along with some citadel contrasts on the brass fittings as a trial which i like and will probably try again. Notable with this war was the use of cockades - these figures sport both the rebels blue white and red cockade and the yellow/gold, black and red cockade of the German Confederation. One of the wargamer benefits of an unplanned rebellion is that standing instructions on equipment might not be honoured. This gives the painter freedom which is just as well because there are no complete ranges in any scale for the 1st (1848) or 2nd wars (1864). Which brings me to books. As the theme is libraries I thought I would dwell on the books I have found useful in my hunt for wargaming ideas about the Schlieswig Holstein Wars. First up has to be Ralph Weavers Partizan Historical Guide No9 "The Armies of the First Schlieswig Holstein War 1848-1851". This is most definitely the place to start. The guide gives brief details about the history before devoting most of the book to the armies along with some potted campaign sections.
I have found it an excellent and inspiring book. The bibliography shows the limitations of the print sources - but given many are German and Danish this guide as firmly anchored in my view. Another partizan guide called Uniformology No9 (again) covers the broader armies of 1848 European Revolutions. It does help give another flavour of the German confederation uniforms. Recommended.
Finally for 1848 Nick Svendsen published through Helion "the first Schlieswig Holstein war 1848-1850". This is an excellent all round history of the conflict as a military event. It covers the course of the war, the generals, the navies and armies as well as operations. It includes a good selection of old prints alongside new uniform illustrations which compliment those of the two other books. If you need more then the web has quite a bit on the naval side of things if you just search "first Schlieswig Holstein war". Finally for the 2nd war, where the Confederacy defeated the Danes in 1864, there are a lot more books available and often the war is covered in Franco Prussian (1870/71) and Austro Prussian (1866) war histories as they followed soon after: Plus Bismarck and Molke cut their teeth on the Danes, honing their political and logistical capabilities to make effective war.
Taking the library theme just a step further here is a book recommendation. I have found that reading about 1848 revolutions and rebellions reinforces the point that history for most people is quite stereotyped with constantly promoted themes. So finally I would recommend anyone looking for something different about the English or rather British Civil Wars can do no worse than read Anna Keay's the "Restless Republic". Straight off it is not a book about the wars as such but what followed them. That said I found it a really fascinating read. It is published by William Collins. Here is my map so far

Finally I reckon I have met the history task so claim 20 points plus the 12 figures at 4 points each. Grand Total 68 points. 

Sylvain: I am impressed by all the books you are referencing. The bonus location of the library you are claiming is supposed to be about "local history", but you are so passionate about the subject that I feel that you made it part of yourself. Your work on the uniforms is detailed and colorful. This is a great submission!  

 

21 comments:

  1. I really knew nothing about this conflict before reading your posts, the figures look so good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Galpy, A guy called "pauls bods" taught me to ignore the ugly nature of many 1/72 sculptures as they paint up nicely.

      Delete
  2. What a fabulous and fascinating entry! Love all the considered thought and work you've put into this project. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice looking figures and a really well researched project.

    ReplyDelete
  4. An interesting year! I'm afraid I've forgotten most of what my teachers tried to tell me about it- sorry, Dux!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Barks. My history education stopped with Henry the VIII, and all I remember about him was I had detention writing out Henry instead of Henery as I liked to spell him! I look at it this way - its been great to discover new history to me through my wargames.

      Delete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Outstanding work. You've a very steady hand to get those eagles painted on the shakos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bob - its interesting that I am more a technician than an artists but only by letting go have I managed these sorts of details - and repetition does improve your (my) style.

      Delete
  7. More excellent work Lorenzo. Interesting basing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Peter, I use pennies instead of mdf bases as they are thinner, the two tone GW sand is of ancient origin while I can only say the gamers grasses are just right for my marshy Schlieswig....

      Delete
  8. Loving this project, the history and the figures.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks Peter, I plan to continue it on my "wargaming erratic" blog after the challenge is complete.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's great to see this conflict get some well deserved attention. I have seem the Danish series 1866 on Netflix and it was awesome! You have done the figures proud!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great looking minis! A period I know almost nothing about but which I'm keen to learn more on having seen your work.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks Millsy I must say that I only stumbled on all this because of an article in the solo wargames "e" magazine just before lock down and it has gradually seeped into all my wargames. very compelling - ACW with colour!

    ReplyDelete