Monday 4 March 2024

From SimonG: Vague History and Dodgy Heraldry - 15mm Crusaders (45 points)

Continuing my 15mm Khurasan Miniatures Cathar Crusade project my submission this week is three Impetus bases for the Crusader side -- one of mounted knights and two of skirmisher crossbowmen.




One of the nice things with working at 15mm is that you still have the larger Impetus bases on which you can get a good number of figures, but the overal size of the bases is more manageable (in this case all on an 80mm frontage, with depth between 30 and 60mm)






The crossbow figures came without strings so despite already having cleaned up and undercoated them I decided at the last minute that I had to add them -- not too much work as the bows are small and quite easy to work with but a delay I could have done without. I painted the two units in rather generic livery, one of course with crusader crosses (the white is a base coat of Corax White, then a coat of Apothecary White Contrast, then layer white scar). 





With only four poses it takes some work to try and manage variation but I think these came out nicely.







The second unit in a simple green and red with crusader badges on the left chest.









My mounted unit was supposed to be Vicomte Bertrand, illegitimate son of Raymond VI of Toulouse and hence half brother of our Cathar hero Raymond VII -- unfortunately I discovered the problems of relying on the first internet source you come to for history -- as I've researched further (at least par Sumption) Vicomte Bertrand defended Toulouse in 1211 for his father and was ransomed by Simon de Montfort -- as many switched sides perhaps at some later point he allied with the Crusaders but for the moment I may have him on the wrong side (I could simply have swapped the base edging from Blue to Red to change him back to the defenders but then am left with the problem of the two obvious crusaders with him, doh!)





A bigger problem is with the heraldry as the Cathar cross on the flag should be gules and or not sable -- my bad as after printing this I forgot to overpaint and then took the figure reference from the flag -- oh the errors we make when rushing for the challenge!)







The heraldry on the other figures is all made up so luckily there cannot be too many errors there as long as I follow heraldric rules! Anyway, despite all these snafus I'm still pleased with the unit and with the dappled grey in particular -- hope you like them too!








No bonus points claimed this week so a simple 12x 15mm infantry and five mounted for another 44 points. See you again next week with some more legionaries!


Sylvain: You continue to impress me week after week with your amazing brush work at this small but mighty 15mm scale. I also like the ground work on your bases, it looks very realistic. The games you are preparing will certainly be spectacular. I will add 1 point for the banner to round up your points to 45. Nicely executed!




22 comments:

  1. Very nice work and as Sylvain said the groundwork looks great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dallas. I’m pretty streamlined with my basing now and it saves time leaving off the static grass for these drier locations 😉

      Delete
  2. I agree on the basing- very nice! I am also impressed by your painted heraldry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Would make more sense if I got the heraldry right 😜

      Delete
  3. The detail you have for 15mm is incredible.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Peter. These Khurasan figs are very easy to paint with clean details to pick out

      Delete
  4. Painting eyes at 15mm is well beyond my skill set, this is really impressive stuff! It's fueling my desire for an Italian Wars project using Khurasan's Renaissance range.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bob. Italian Wars would mean even more colourful and busy figures but I’m sure it would look wonderful!

      Delete
  5. Excellent looking crusaders/Cathars!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can’t believe the detail that you get in 15mm. Lovely stuff, and you need to paint the real Raymond!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Peter. I did include Raymond VII as a commander in my first submission for this project. Of course I might need to add in his father too!

      Delete
  7. I'm afraid you've slipped into the realms of madness, eyes in 15mm that's just crazy, but man your figure look great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It’s no bother. A simplified three step process and it’s surprising how the mind then fills in all the other details. The horses in 15mm still get the full five steps with eyeballs and gloss!

      Delete
  8. Eyes right Simon - love it! And those Khurasan figures are compelling under your artwork. Like another poster these simply tempt me for a scale I have long since abandoned. So many Siren calls....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for that. I was tempted into 15mm by all the armies I saw at the Society of Ancients meeting last October. 15mm is one of the most popular scales for mass battles in this group (although increasingly folks are going smaller too)

      Delete