Monday 4 March 2024

From SanderS: More stompy robots (50 points)

 Hoi,

Last week left me with little enough hobbytime so I decided to take a different approach to some of my Battletech mechs; contrast paint! I am on the whole not a big fan of "slapchopping" miniatures or, for that matter, contrast paint. To me, contrast paint and all other brands' equivalents are in the main a sort of wash/ ink to be used when and if required,. This has led to some of the guys at the club calling me a traditional painter, I take that as a compliment. 

Anyway, a long story short; for battletech I don't mind if the miniatures are only painted to tabletop standard and so I tried out the army painter range of Speed Paint  paints. Don't tell anyone but I am rather happy with the results and might even do this with other mechs, not sure about using it like this on "real" miniatures though. So for now, let the conga-lines commence:




As I mentioned last mech post, a unit of 5 Clan mechs is called a star, now a unit of 2 stars is called a binary. Therefore here you see a binary of Clan Jade Falcon mechs belonging to Delta Galaxy (galaxy being the name for regiment) together with the other star they make a trinary.




So pointswise 10 roughly 28mm figures is another 50 points for the scoreboard for me!

Cheers Sander.

Sylvain: I will join your club and call myself a "traditional painter". I have not experimented with contrast paint yet, but seeing the great result you obtained, I feel encouraged to give it a try. I like how bright and colorful your mechs are, no risk of friendly fire in this case. Great submission! 

 


21 comments:

  1. These turned out great! The colors really pop and the dark seams give them a lot of depth. I agree about the contrast paints, I mostly treat them as a wash for shading and tinting. They can be a good tool, but don't replace old school paints.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're quite right, they turned out well! I will add the speed paints to the instrumentarium.

      Delete
  2. Excellent robots and a great use of contrast paint!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. cheers Iain, I am so happy to have them painted after a long time on the pile!

      Delete
  3. the robots are awesome love the green and yellow the colors really pop

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yeah at first I was afraid I had tuned them down too much but it worked out very well in the end!

      Delete
  4. I really like the vibrancy of these mechs, Sander. I really like Contrast paints (and all their variations), but I see them as just one tool in the hobby chest to use when a certain effect is sought for. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm with you, they are good on some things, but not everywhere. Sometimes I paint something with contrasts and then paint the same thing on next batch traditionally.

      Delete
    2. after this I must agree with you bith, they have their merits in certain circumstances!

      Delete
  5. Great looking stompy mechs. I think contrast works really well on Battlemechs depending on the units color palette.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. you're right, but I was annoyed about the army painter red speed paint; I used it on a DC mech and you can't paint lighter colours ( yellow and white) on top of it, the red comes through...

      Delete
  6. They've come out really well- I like the splash of yellow!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks, yes the yellow pops really nice!

      Delete
  7. I too consider myself traditional, you are not alone. I have tried some contrasts and some are okay, some are godawful. Lovely work here though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hear you Peter! No worries, I will use them as I see fit ;-)

      Delete
  8. They’re just what is says on the tin. Excellent work on these. Love the Conga line, can they do YMCA or Thriller?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will ask them to have a go and will let you know!

      Delete
  9. Sander, I agree contrasts are really just wash theory updated (and nothing wrong with that) and of course have their place in the painting pantheon. Whenever I see angst about paint styles in wargames I remind myself of the artworld who do all this method and media on steroids. I will just sit back and admire the "green" tech. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're so right! I am of the opinion that you should try out everything at least once to see whether you can use it in your paintworks.

      Delete
  10. I think they look great Sander! Who cares what you painted them with if they look good and you're happy with them?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wel, yeah that's true from a viewers perspective!

      Delete