Monday 4 March 2024

From LORENZO: Wladyslaw Eugeniusz Sikorski (25 points)

So I have finally got some items over the line.
First up is General Sikorski as he is best known. The General was Prime Minister in Exile of Poland during World War 2. He died in an unexplained (assumed technical failure) aircraft crash with his whole family when leaving Gibralter in 1943. This hero of Poland independence in the 20th Century was born in 1881 in what was the Austro Hungarain Empire (it having part of modern Poland), he joined the short lived Polish Legion of 1914 against the Empire before taking part in the Battle of Rarancza 1918 in the Polish Legions where the Polish victory against the Empire was then turned defeat at the hands of the Germans at the battle of Kaniow. Sikorksi lived to join the Polish Army of the Second Polish Republic from 1919 - he became the 9th Prime Minister of Poland in December 1922. Before that the Poles had to fight a war with the Soviets between 1918 and 1921 where Sikorski fought in the three battles. From 1939 after the German invasion of Poland Sikorski became the 29th Prime Minister of the Polish Government(in exile) as well as 3rd General Inspector of the Armed Forces. You can find out a lot more via Wikipedia. The figure I painted was a 2023 freebie issued at the "Other Partizan". You might wonder why General Sikorski appears amongst the likes of more famous Military characters in Partizan's annual giveaways?
Well that seems to be geographical. Partizan hold two excellent wargame shows every year at the Showground in Newark-on-Trent, Nottinghamshire, UK. During World War 2 Newark along with Scotland saw a concentration of Polish forces training to fight in the war. Biggar and Upper Clydesdale Museum has a section on Polish Soldiers. In Newark there were many Polish Airforce Squadrons based nearby and hence there is an RAF cemetery in Newark. Also General Sikorski was buried here after his death in 1943 until 1993 when his remains were returned to his homeland.
I primed the figure with Vallejo White before a complete coat of MC100 Black Green and then black for boots and uniform markings plus white for uniform piping and markings. Flesh and Hair was MC018 Flat Flesh over painted with Citadel Contrast Colours Nazdreg Yellow.
I assumed I would simply base the General up and job done. Then I thought a square podium would be appropriate and then I found a wood cylinder in my bits and bobs collection (packing from some perfumes no less).
I painted this up in 3 craft paints - dark grey, dry brushed stone grey final dry brush light grey. Having given the cylinder a 2p piece plinth for the figure I decided to finish it all with a square base. And then I did not like it - something was missing. Grass! Another bits and bobs item came to mind - a lid from a candle box.

A short while later and covered in static grass (no I don't use it as it should be) and I had what I wanted. So these are a lot of words for one figure but this guy deserves to be my Famous Person. Points calculation 1x28mm figure = 5pts Famous Character from the library = 20pts 

Sylvain: A very interesting choice for a famous character. You get my seal of approval. And thank you for the interesting description, I will feel less ignorant when I go to bed tonight. I also like how you describe your painting process in your description, there is always something new to learn. Great submission!

 

 

 

17 comments:

  1. I agree with Sylvain the, history is always intriguing. Really nice DIY too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great looking figure, I remember going to a Ukranian cultural centre in Derbyshire about thirty years ago, I think the midlands and south Yorkshire was a big settlement area, the plinth and basing looks great too!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Iain, I worked in construction near Peterborough on the fens years ago and every other man seemed either Italian or Ukrainian in descent. I can't talk - one Uncle was a Serbian and prisoner of war, shipped to the UK when the iron curtain fell in 1946 and another fled Czechoslovakia in 1938 - an engineer who devoted himself to the allied cause....

      Delete
  3. Excellent work and a great choice.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Excellent history lesson and a nice choice! Great brushwork, too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A great choice for the theme. A man who saw a lot of change of his homeland, wow.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice work! One wonders what would have happened if his plane hadn't crashed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Barks, yes WW2 has so many what ifs.....

      Delete
  7. Lovely work and interesting history.

    ReplyDelete