Monday 29 December 2014

From AaronH - 28mm Celt Warriors (55 Points)

First things first, a shot of the paint desk.  In line with the precedent set by Tamsin, here's my Christmas present as well.

This entry is another eleven Celt infantry for Hail Caesar.  This group is armed with spears and mostly armored in chain mail.  Now that I think of it, that doesn't really make sense as I would expect the armored warriors to have swords.


Eleven more bruisers to beat up on the Romans.
These are, again, 28mm Warlord Games plastics.  The shields are also the stickers.  I went ahead and did all of them at once because I like to get the suck over as quickly as possible.

The left end of the line.
The center.
The right.
I have ten more of these on the table right now.  I may get them done today but won't be able to get pictures, so you'll be spared until next Monday.

Run away!
The other end of the line.
There are a lot of options in this kit.  It's great for filling out an army with a mass of models.
I have some more single based models but then I'll switch over to 60mm x 60mm bases. These guys are going to be the second line.  The third, obscured, line will be the wretched Wargames Factory Celts.  The front will be the best of these models and metals from various manufacturers.

There is nothing wrong with these plastics.
I know a lot of people hate painting Celts.  I've found these guys to be pretty straight forward.  I'm not going wild on the plaid/tartan.  I'm sticking to a fairly limited pallet.  I'm using decals (stickers).  That's good because I have a lot of these to paint.

From Curt:Aaron, you've been a very busy boy this past week - brilliant stuff! Another wonderful entry here. I really like how bright these figures are. The 'dip method' has become so ubiquitous in the hobby, and while it's often very useful, I find it frequently creates armies that are rather dull and jaundiced looking. So it's nice to see clean crisp colours without the tell-tale yellow.  Also, I know you hate your stick-on shield decal experience but you've done a very nice job with these as they look quite sharp. 
Finally, thanks for the great shot of your workspace (BTW the hobby-desk precedent was set by MilesR). I see the other 10 Celts in the  assembly line there. What was the award for the '3rd Place General' for?

16 comments:

  1. Thanks Clint. The 3rd Place General was for a local Lord of the Rings Tournament.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're on a roll today for sure. Another nice submission!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do love a good Celtic warband!

    I got myself a box of these bad boys a while back - they're as yet unassembled (surprise, surprise), but I'll be following your advice and sticking with transfers rather than what's in the box.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Always nice to see Celts...these are looking good .

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yet more Celtic goodness. Although I share your dislike of stickers you have turned a bad job (by the maker) and made it look rather very good. Thumbs up from me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. More lovely Celts. You're going great guns Aaron :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very nice indeed. I think your paint-job and the decals have made these minis look just the job. great stuff :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great work - I've painted my fair share of Warlord Celts (as Dacians) and one thing I have learned is to replace the plastic spears with metal ones when possible - the plastic ones break a lot.

    Excellent looking unit

    ReplyDelete
  9. And more sharp looking Celts! Once again great job! The colors are very nice! I will freely admit that the only reason I have no Highlanders for my Peninsular Force is because Im still unsure on the tartan painting and my mountain of neglect is large enough!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Again, brilliant work. I love how colourful these miniatures are.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wonderful (again) and those stickers do look good though

    Ian

    ReplyDelete
  12. Bravo Aaron. Another colourful and well done entry.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Very fine indeed! Good to see the tradies represented in the blue singlet :-)

    ReplyDelete