Monday 29 December 2014

From ByronM - 30k Deathguard Terminators (42 Points)

This week besides getting my theme entry in, I managed to finally get around to some Horus Heresy (ie: Warhammer 30k) miniatures. I picked these up about this time last year, when GregB twisted my arm about getting into 30k.  I know, it didn't take much twisting, but that's normal for a gamer, right?


Anyway, here they are 5 Death Shroud terminators all with hand flamers and power scythes. These guys are extremely nasty in close combat.  What makes them even worse, is being accompanied by Calas Typhon the first Captain of the Deathguard.


I am painting all of my 30k force as an embattled and stranded force.  The battle that takes place as Horus turns from the light of the Emperor is a nasty one, where thousands of battle brothers turn on each other and fight to the death.  I am therefore not going with the typical GW shiny and new look for marines, and instead trying to get them dirty, grimy, and worn down. 


The look comes from essentially a white base colour, and then successive "washes" with different colours mixed 1:8 with glaze medium.  Then pigments mixed with alcohol, then they are chipped with a sponge.

The bases are 40mm rounds and left very simple to fit in with the barren world they are fighting on.




From Curt:Beautiful work Byron. I love the grimy tones you've achieved on their previously white armour - fantastic. I assume these are destined to be Chaos Space Marines in the 40K mythos? I like that they aren't festooned with the typical tentacles, skulls and spiky bits - the restraint is nice. As these are significantly larger models than the typical 40K humans I'll score them as 40mm so 42 points total.

20 comments:

  1. Absolutely cracking stuff Byron. Stunning paint-jobs and they look just as I imagine the 30K universe. Perhaps somewhat oddly, but I also really like your basing as well. Nice and simple but definitely complete the models and their muted tones.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those look amazing. You've really captured the look you were going for.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes Curt, after the 30k period the Death Guard become some of the most changed of the Chaos Space Marine forces. Their bodies are complete given over to Grandfather Nurgle and they each become living disease colonies. They are covered in pustules and rot, most of them become bloated and decayed as their bodies are corrupted. In the 40k time period they are generally green instead of white or bone coloured.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice bunch of termies there, Byron, very nicely finished!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Excellent stuff, really do look the part..

    ReplyDelete
  6. The dirty/grimy look has worked very well. While not a GW fan I can still appreciate good work. Terrific stuff. Or should I say "The Wrong stuff!"

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very nice indeed! I'm getting into 30k myself and will have some of my stuff up shortly I hope, so consider me inspired again. They are exactly how I'd expect Death Guard to look.

    ReplyDelete
  8. They are fantastic!!! Great painting work, really dirty and grimy.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very nice work! Love all the paint chipping etc. you've done on them to make them look battle worn etc! These 30k things have really been trying to lure me back into playing GW games again

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great work! I really like the grimy look over the white base, I've always thought the Deathguard look best like that.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The termies look awesome! I too like the lack of skulls and spikes, the grime is great too! I've thought a few times of building a loyalist force from the traitor legions, mostly inspired from the Heresy fiction.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Way to go Byron! Not sure I why I get blamed for pushing you into this! In fact, wasn't it your idea? :)

    Great work!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Excellent work! You're painting's worthy of top marks.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm not a fan at all about Warhammer 30K but I can recognise great looking figures well done

    Ian

    ReplyDelete
  15. You've done a nice job of making them look nasty :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. These look fantastic! Your weathering looks spot on. Not too grimy but just enough to create that "on campaign" look.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow! Excellent weathering on the armor.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Just beautiful in an ugly sort of way--if that makes sense. :)

    ReplyDelete