Monday 29 December 2014

From AdamC - 15mm WWII Canadian Shermans (19 points)


These are 3 more vehicles I got from Battlefront as part of Ranger program that never got off the ground (locally at least).   I had heard some horror stories about the Open Fire Sherman tanks but all and all these went together well (very small issues).  I now have British tanks to support my airborne troops if I when them.  Instead of making them British I decided I would rather they were Canadian.


One reason is I did this is I feel Canada is underrepresented in World War II gaming. Anther reason is my Nephew William who is named for his great-grandfather a decorated veteran of the North Shore Regiment who made it ashore on Juno beach on D-Day and fought through to VE day.   Someday I hope William will be interested in war gaming and I hope to gift him a company of his namesakes regiment with appropriate support troops(this is step number one, I have time he's only two-and-a-half so meantime I get to use them).


To this end I painted and decaled these guys as the 3rd troop of the 1st Hussar Regiment part of the Canadian 4th independent tank Brigade who supported the 3rd Canadian infantry division on June 6th and in the battles that followed.  (the Maple Leaf flag may actually be the wrong color for the divisional badge but we use what we have).


I love bags slung on the side of the turret since it means you don;t have to put a decal on the turret. Actually the stowage provided with these was very good all around.


You know like this circle, actually this decals were pretty cooperative for members of their species.


The only images I could find images of the troop indicator or the left hand side of the turret any one know if should be on one this side as well.


I tried getting a close up of the platoon leader and his wonderfully mustachioed face. Gingers seem to be popping up all over the challenge and I unconsciously followed this trend. So I think that should net me another point; 18 for three vehicles and 1 point for the tank commander.

From Curt:Great work Adam! I really like the weathering and stowage on these three tanks and the Canadian marking are a great touch (along with the jaunty ginger moustache). I hope your young nephew takes an interest in his family's history as he will have a real treat in these beauties. Well done!

15 comments:

  1. Nice work on these tanks Adam.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I am very happy with how they came out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the tanks and agree it's rare that I see a Canadian army on the table top

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm not normally a fan of WW2, It lacks flair and to be brutal the potential for bayonets in the belly. However I really like these tanks. They look like they know their business. I have some in the back of the cupboard that I will take another look at

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Martin! My first love is the 18th century but most people I know play Flames of War so... I paint a fair bit of World War II. I have some more colorful projects coming down the road.

      Delete
  5. With the new "PBI" rules out soon I am now having second thoughts about scrapping my US army and starting again with a Russian one. Yet seeing these has made me re-think the idea. Nice job mate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So you are thinking of a Canadian army now?

      Delete
  6. Lovely looking tanks and I think it's a great idea to build up a force for the nipper

    Ian

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah I think it will be something he will appreciate at someday.

      Delete
  7. Sharp looking tanks! My favorite unit is the Devil's Brigade. Canadian elite and American troublemakers formed into one tough commando unit!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like them a lot, Adam. They look like working, campaigning tanks. The weathering work is simply but effective.
    I have a soft spot for 1st Hussars, as I served beside them at Wolseley Barracks - those guys were in the thick of it from D-Day right to the end. Nice entry.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks again every one. I try to make my troops look "squared away but a bit worn" and it seems I succeeded in this case.
    @David-- I also like the Devil's Brigade I wish World War II had more examples of such a partnership.
    @Michael- I picked the 1st Hussars's because of their combat record especially their presence on D-Day

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great job!
    and, speaking as a ginger, red-heads are the way to go ;)

    ReplyDelete