Monday 29 December 2014

ClintB - 28mm Confederate Infantry (60 Points)

It has been a slow week for me. But here are my latest figures finished.  12 Perry 28mm plastics all from the same box that the Blue coats came from and all for skirmish games.


Here they are triple ranked in a mixture of uniforms grey and butternut. Should I do more (I will ) I suspect there will be more butternut colour clothing. Although you can't see it in the front rank there are quite a few patched knees and elbows on the figures which add to the campaign look of the figure and hint that they may not get all the supplies as often as they would require.


Some civilian clothes are also included in the mix, everything from non-regulation socks and blankets as well as hats and even leather work. Hopefully they now look like a slightly more dishevelled group than my Northern troops.


In Fact only the officer has the majority of "Regulation" Uniform as realistically he probably bought it himself. Or bought at least part of it! All the colours of the clothes came from the Films "Gettysburg" and "Gods and Generals." but I have lightened them slightly as colours tend to dull the smaller the figure. And it was a good excuse to watch those films again.

From Curt:Another great addition to this project Clint. I really like the various colours for the uniforms, hats and blanket rolls as they give them that quintessential 'Rebel' look. 

29 comments:

  1. Lovely looking unit. Rebs are reat to paint

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Martin they were a fun paint on a bad few days in my RL. (Nothing terrible family illness getting better now)

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thanks Anne. I really feel I should have made them scruffier though.

      Delete
  3. Lovely stuff.. A right rabble!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dave. I think more butternut next time and more patches and tattered uniforms. Bet I over-do it though!

      Delete
  4. Very nice work on making them a rabble. Makes them stand out from the more uniform appearance of others forces/eras and they look great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Tea Urn your words are very much appreciated.

      Delete
  5. Very nice! Patches, a lot of them!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I need a few more. (Well maybe on the next batch)
      Thank you Juan.

      Delete
  6. Lovely stuff. They look so much better with their mixture of colours and clothing, than the 'standard' all grey or brown confederates, Clint. The extra effort to pick out all those additional colours has really paid off.

    ReplyDelete
  7. At least you've got some paint on these Clint, they'd still be sitting in my shed unloved in 3 years time, me thinks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not only that but they nearly got to the table top on Sunday as well . Thank you Ray.

      Delete
  8. Nice rabble,Clint! I like the sock colors! You ought to put a union kepi or jacket in the next batch in addition to the butternut. Even horseless cab troopers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dave no more planed this week, but I can keep it in mind for when I do some more.
      Tried the rules at the club on Sunday and they worked well. A little too well as now we have a guy using them for the Alamo and another for Napoleonic's! When It was going to be my little project. So I am starting another project instead.

      Delete
  9. Looking good. I like the mix-match of clothing you've painted.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Roy. I might have some more to do in a while.

      Delete
  10. These do have the look of Rebel about them and they are painted very well

    Ian

    ReplyDelete
  11. A determined bunch with an appropriately mixed set of uniforms. Good stuff. I like the backdrop - it makes them look like they're walking out of a 1960s era technicolor western film. :)
    Bravo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes they are a bit bright but I find it looks better on the table than true natural colouration. Thank you Michael.

      Delete
  12. A lovely eclectic mix of clothing Clint and the odd spark of colour really lifts them up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Millsey. I had a very slow Christmas week. Just could not focus and only managed these. I am still struggling with Mahdi Cavalry!

      Delete
  13. what colors do you use for getting a good butternut?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you WCW. Firstly I am NO expert on Civil War colours but if it look right to you it probably is right.

      As a base Coat I used Games Workshop "Graveyard earth" (this is the same as Vallejo 141 if that is easier for you to acquire). Then simply adding White for the hi-lights and even more whit for upper higlingts. It seemed to give the effect I wanted at 28mm I would go lighter still at smaller scales.

      I hope that helps. All the best.

      Delete