Monday 29 December 2014

From AlanD - 15mm Volksgrenadier Platoon (68 Points)



For my first entry in the Challenge I painted a platoon of Volkssturm for Battle Group: Fall of the Reich. I'm continuing the theme now with a platoon of Volksgrenadiers. The figures are a mixture of Skytrex, Peter Pig and Battlefront.



As with the Volkssturm, I had fun basing these in an urban environment, using bits of ground cork, matchsticks and broken bits of plaster walls.




I tried to give some of the figures camouflage smocks painted in 'Marsh Pattern' camo. It's very hard to get right in this scale, so any suggestions welcome.



That's 32 figures, which should give me a base of 64 points. Happy New Year, everyone!


From Curt:Another great unit of last-gasp Germans for your late-war collection Alan.  The figures are wonderful to be sure, but it's the spectacular base-work that really places them in their proper context. I particularly like the grafitti on the walls and the irregular shaped bases - worth a few extra points I think. Excellent work. 

10 comments:

  1. You're closing in on me Alan - another batch this size and you'll be ahead in our race. Until Saturday anyway ;)

    Great work on these, especially the basing :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now that is how urban ruins basing should look! Bravo!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great looking set, really set off by rubble basing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looking nicely desperate for this stage of the war. (Stop tempting me to do something similar)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful painting work, they are small gems.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh these are great, what a lovely submission

    Ian

    ReplyDelete
  7. The camouflage works pretty good to my eye. I like your choice of model mixture too. With the bases they look like a tough, veteran, desperate troop!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Really neat! I am curious as to how these multi-figured bases would work in the Battlegroup rules - I haven't tried them yet (although I am keen to do so) but in my read through of them group-based infantry would be very awkward in the game.

    ReplyDelete
  9. One of the stronger entries in the challenge thus far, I think. The figures are painted very well, but as others have said, the bases really add so much to them. I'm no expert on German camo - what you've done looks fine to me, especially at that small scale. Bravo, sir.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Excellent work! These look really class. And the camo' looks great (I'm no expert however, just a figure admirer).

    ReplyDelete