Tuesday 26 December 2017

From Barks: A Pair of Sith (10 Points)

Hello all! Great to be participating again! I'm keen to get some points on the board, so I started with my staple Star Wars figures.

The Emperor was a quickie (I painted the Guard years ago). His cloak is dark grey, drybrushed lighter, then a black wash followed by a blue wash. The final blue wash is my current favourite tool for a nice black effect. It doesn't quite translate in the photo.  I wasn't sure how to paint his face- I've seen it all hues of sickly, but went with a browny-yellow that works for me. It would have ben very cool for him to have some lightning coming from his hands, but it would have upped the painting time considerably!

Something something something complete.

The next figure is Maul. Just Maul- Not Darth Maul. Having been the only good thing from the execrable Episode I, he was revived using advanced plot technology for the Clone Wars and Rebels cartoons. He became a rogue acting for his own interests rather than for the Empire. He got a robotic bottom half, and has a guise as an enfeebled old man with a cane- which contains his iconic dual-bladed lightsaber. He's holding the cane in his left hand. I undercoated him with red first, and then painted the tattoos and clothes black. The first picture is untouched- it came out a little overexposed and gives this awesome appearance to his weapon! You can see a bit better on the other pictures than the blades are more pink in reality, but I'm still very happy with his overall appearance.




So, two figures to start with- 10 points please.

______________________________

Welcome back to the Challenge, Barks!

Great entry, considering the new film just been released. Your Emperor is suitably iconic with his sallow skin, but your Maul is especially fine, particularly the glow from his dual lightsaber on his cybernetic legs, and his tribalistic Sith tattoos. Wonderful brushwork.

I was hoping that you'd continue your Star Wars theme this year, Barks, as this year I'm taking a stab at painting some of these figures as well, and wanted to see yours as further inspiration.  

These two Sith serve as an excellent opening gambit for your climb to your points target.

Well done!

28 comments:

  1. Well-timed entry there, Barks - great work with the OSL from the light sabre!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Ev- it is much easier against dark cloth like Maul has.

      Delete
  2. I'm not much of a Star Wars fan but I love Maul. As Ev said, the OSL if very cool but I'm particularly impressed with his skin patterning. Nice work Barks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had one shot to get it right, and it came out nicely!

      Delete
  3. Love email both Barks! I don't have either, but I'll definitely use your work for inspiration when I do get em! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, David! Look forwards to catching yours down the track.

      Delete
  4. Great work Barks! Love the glow and reflection on Mauls weapon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Peter! Since getting into Star Wars I’ve had to paint my fair share of laser swords...

      Delete
  5. great looking figures Barks, can't go wrong when joining the Dark Side!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely looking pair of Sith!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great stuff and very threatening lookong!

    ReplyDelete