Tuesday 26 December 2017

ByronM: Start of a New Era - Ancient Greece (80 Points)

Last year I decided that I wanted to do something for this challenge that would allow me to get a bunch of figures done fairly quickly and bring a new era to our wargame group.  The era I chose was one that has interested me for a long while, Ancient Greece.


As a kid I loved the Greek myths and Gods and thought they were amazing. By choosing Greeks as a force, I could just do Greeks as they constantly fought among themselves between the various city-states, or expand at another time to paint Persians and bring in another element.

To start the force I chose to pick up a few boxes of the Warlord Spartans and Greeks, as they are readily available and fairly inexpensive.  I have always liked Warlord plastics so had high expectations...


Well, those expectations meant nothing as Warlord has 3 different boxes of ancient Greeks, yet all of them have the same contents other than a few small character sprues and decals.  Worse, the poses are not varied at all, and have no thrusting arms only throwing arms or at rest arms. The sprues used by Warlord are old Immortal figures sprues and are not even really 28mm they are more like 25mm figures.  I have since ordered a few boxes of Victrix Greeks as they have proper thrusting arms and more varied poses, and will mix them into other units and try to keep the same height by leaving the Warlord figures on their bases and removing the Victrix from theirs.  I would strong recommend against anyone getting any of the Warlord Greeks.


I plan on using the Hail Caesar rule set, and while it recommends 40mm x 40mm bases for 4 figures, I decided on using 40mm x 60mm to allow for some extra ground work in front of the figures for both looks and protection of the spears.

Since I plan of painting at least 10 units of these over time, I wanted to keep the paint jobs very simple and quick so that I can get them done in a reasonable time.  Therefore these were painted by simply blocking in the colours, washing and then highlighting.  Super simple and basic table top level, as I don't know that you actually see much more than the shield from the front or some bronze and cloth from the back.  I will however spend more time on the command stands for the game as you will be able to see the figures there.


This first unit is 16 Spartans, of which probably 1/4 - 1/2 of my final force will be made up of.  I also plan on making heavy use of units from Athens and Thebes.

_____________________________________________

I know you're not wild on the figures, but you've done a very nice job with these, Byron. The warm bronzes and vibrant reds are excellent. The slight variation in the weapon arm helps to add a bit of visual interest to the unit. I also like the proper dory spears with the reverse spike 'lizard killers' - all my old hoplites are just plain old brass wire. 

If you want to try something different, and want to break up the monotony of similar figures, you may want to try adding a few wounded figures in the ranks, or perhaps a water carrier skirting along the rear, or maybe a helot armed with extra spears or a spare hoplon shield to support the fighters. I might help save your sanity if you're planning on doing a load of these.

I look forward to seeing how you integrate the upcoming Victrix models with these ones from Warlord.


26 comments:

  1. It's clear you're not happy with the minis themselves but you've done a great "serviceable" job on them. They'd grace any table.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great work on them despite the disappointing miniatures.

    Those plastic Greeks aren't actually Warlord designs so that explains quite a lot. Can't remember the original manufacturer, but Warlord bought them out I think about 4 years ago. I had the misfortune of buying some of them as well. Wasn't impressed...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, yeah they were immortal before Warlord bought them out. The really bad part is the 3 different boxes are all labeled as different, all saying they are different types of figures (Spartans, athenians, and greek hopolites) yet are all the same figures.... WTF, serious false advertising. Sure they all looked basically the same, but marking 3 different boxes containing the same thing as 3 different things is really bad customer service.

      Delete
  3. They look superb anyway,wonderful and impressive unit!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Apart from the complaints about the set-up of the boxes (I agree having bought them and concluded the same) you've done these chaps up a treat!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think they look very striking!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Barks, yeah I am happy with how they came out for the table top, just don't pick them up and look closely :-) Lots of shortcuts, like skipping the strapping on the backs of shields and stuff like that.

      Delete
  6. Great job on those, the bronze it particularly effective, top marks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, lots of comments on the bronze so I will pass on the recipie... It's just vallejo bronze, then washed with GW agrax earthshade, then re-highlighted with bronze again. Simple and effective. On higher quality figures I would highlight again with a hint of gold at the top edges, but on rank and file there isn't much need.

      Delete
  7. The figures look great - i’ve got a load of plastic Greeks waiting to be painted thankfully they’re not from warlord. Maybe that will be a subject for challenge IX

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very well done and definitely a very effective way of getting these done and dusted.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think you got every thing you could out of them they look great.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Good work in these Sparatns Byron. I've a soft spot go Greeks as they were my first 25mm army- still got 35 year old Minifigs and Rafm Hoplites in my basement. I got steered off Warlord after trying their AWI Hessians (3 0piece heads).

    I like what I've seen of Victrix, they have all the supports for the Hopltes. Also folks use Perry plastic Sudanese Ansars as psiloi.

    Figure quality noted, paint work is A1. As a long time Polemarch I'll pass on the mantra - "Look after the flanks and the Phalanx looks after itself"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Peter. Yes, I learned that on Napoleonics too. Just there you worry about the front of the front rank, and the back of the bank rank, and can "cheat" the opposite sides.

      Delete
  11. Nice work Byron, even though you didn't really like the figures :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Figures may be subpar, but the painting isnt! I really like the reddish bronze! They are top tier now! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Shame about the disappointing figures, but you’ve really done a nice job on them and they’ll look cracking on the tabletop.

    Curt’s idea on various points of interest with different figures is a great one. I’m always somewhat jealous of games that want lots of figures on a big base as the GW games always require individual bases.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I may try some of that on these, but the issue will be finding some figures to work as those other things. I may add some shields and discarded weapons onto the bases of the next ones to see how that looks.

      Delete
    2. I suspect if you asked Curt he may have one or two ideas inspired by figures in his lead shed ;)

      Delete
  14. no nice miniatures, but great work!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Cool stuff Byron, great to see paint on these suckers!

    Warlord is pretty OK, but always does just enough shifty stuff to keep me a little wary of them...the tale of the boxes vs. contents in this case is another classic example...

    ReplyDelete
  16. Honestly, Byron, while the old Immortal sculpts are a bit on the spindly side, your painting and basing more than make up for any irregularities. They look great ranked up!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Nice job on these. Nothing more ironic than well painted crappy figures

    ReplyDelete
  18. Well, they look great even if you don't like the figures! Lovely work on these chaps.
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete