Sunday 9 February 2020

From AlexS: Colonial British (185 points)

 Hello everybody! My name is Alex and I lived in the USSR for some time. Then I read in a history textbook that British colonial policy is evil, because enslavement of entire nations and the dissolution of entire countries took place. Now I’ve grown up, time has changed and I understand that it’s not so simple.And when I started my new project, "Pirates," of course I decided to assemble several British regular infantry units for the period beginning of the 18th century. They are perfect as one of the factions for games.



In addition, I will need porters for story games - they will carry supplies and wealth. Well, as always, I painted the dogs. I always paint dogs. This is a good recipe - when you know what to do, paint the dogs!

Well, as always, I decided to make terrane myself. Firstly, I decided to make a jungle. I have never been in the jungle, so I decided that the jungle could look like a bright diverse vegetation. Artificial flowers and a glue gun helped me cope with this task.




Then I decided to make the huts of the natives. For them, I used seedling sticks that I had stolen from my wife, a glue gun and artificial fur. It turned out perfectly - it was in this hut that the natives oppressed by the British colonialists should live. :)






Well, the general photo. The plans are to make British artillery, a standard bearer with the flag of the East Indus company, natives and pirates in addition to those that I already made during this event. And then find interesting rules and opponents. And I can start playing!


32 inf 28mm - 160 pts
2 dogs 28mm - 5 pts
terrain - сube with approximately 6 inch sides - 20 pts
total - 185 pts

Another post, another project from the uber productive AlexS.    No British Colonial history is never simple, much like Russian history I bet.  This does make an interesting counter post to Benito's post from earlier in the day when Britain was somebody else's colony.

Great work all around on this project, lots to love here.  I wish you had a close up of the infantry because from what I can see they look very nice.  What make of figures are they?  Are the WSS era?  Inquiring minds want to know.  They are certainly overdressed for their new environs, but the Brits are always over or under dressed (you should see what they wear in Canadian winters).  I also really like you terrain, especially those huts.  And yes, stealing crafting stuff from your wife is a time honoured tradition...just don't tell my wife that I said that.

I can't fault your tally, so 185 points it is.

13 comments:

  1. Colonial empires are everybody's history, you just have to go back far enough. Weren't the Rus vikings?
    Love these, esp the huts

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent work Alex! I love those Brits in their bright red uniforms and the blue facings. The porters are excellent as well and really help to tell a story.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great looking Brits and porters, your usual splendid scratch building too!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely looking troops and more awesome terrain.

    "The thing that makes Britain great is our ability to laugh at ourselves.
    And by 'ourselves', I mean 'others'.
    And by 'laugh at', I mean 'invade'."

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fabulous work Alex! I really like how you did with the 'huts of the oppressed'. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. While the Brits are nicely colourful, it's the terrain that I like best, great work!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice painting, Alex, and really great terrain, as always!

    ReplyDelete
  8. two forces and terrain? Excellent work indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nice work on these Alex. I particularly like what you did with the native hut. Victoria's craft supplied are also a trove of things to be raided ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great figures, great terrain and great commentary. It has to be Alex! Once again, wonderful stuff, well done.

    ReplyDelete