Sunday 9 February 2020

From BenitoM: Booking a seat at Sarah's Balloon (35 points)

Having trotted all along the Path of History, I'm still one spot away of reaching the Snowlord Peak. For that reason I'll need to ride Sarah's Balloon and drop me on Cooke's Crevase as soon as some seats are available (tried through Booking.com but couldn't find the airline).

My payment for the seat is this nice Wargames Foundry model of Cartimandua.


Cartimandua (43-69 AD) was the opposite mirror of the better known Briton heroine Boudicca. As a queen of the Brigantes (a northern tribe in the Isles) instead of revolting against the Roman, she actually become a very faithful allied.

When Caratacus was defeated, he took shelter under the protection of the Brigantes. But Cartimandua decided that what a better gift t than to hand him in chain to the Romans. The Brigantes flourished under her tenure, but in year 69AD (the Year of the Four Emperors) she was deposed by his former husband Venetius and then disappeared from history.


This is a metal 28mm from Wargames Foundry. Despite being bought in the early 90s, the sculpting is good and can still be found in the current catalogue



I'd like this model also to compete in Sarah's Choice contest. Cartimandua will add 5 points (1 x  28mm model @5 points) to my Challenge scoring.

A fine looking Celtic lady Benito and an excellent token for a balloon ride.  I really like the plaid and the subtle shading on her shawl.  From my quick check of your previous posts (beautiful work FYI), this seems to be your first balloon ride.  Therefore the lady with the unpronouncable Celtic name nets you another 30 points for a total of 35.

15 comments:

  1. Lovely looking Celtic queen!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice work Benito :)

    You do realise that you could simply take the balloon to Snowlord's Peak - it counts as your fifth island location :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my....! Bloody idiot me... well deserved for not reading the small print. Anyway, I have alrady planned my entry at Cooke's Crevase (hopefully to be finished this afternoon), so some additional point to compensate for my lack of attention.

      Delete
  3. @Peter (minion on duty) - Cartimandua is not so difficult to pronounce: CAR - TEE - MAN - DOOH - A (hopefully this is the right English phonetics)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And of course, thank you for the unexpected 30 points (another missed part in my reading of the small print)

      Delete
    2. We’re just looking out for you Benito. And no that’s not too hard to say.

      Delete
  4. She looks absolutely superb Benito!

    ReplyDelete
  5. A fine looking mini. I like the pattern you've painted on her tunic.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very nice version of this famous Ancient queen!

    ReplyDelete
  7. 🎈Welcome to the Balloon Service! It’s a pleasure to have you aboard. Clear sailings ahead in the beautiful Balloon 🎈

    ReplyDelete
  8. I hadn't heard of her; thanks for the history lesson!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you all for the comments

    ReplyDelete