Sunday 9 February 2020

From JohnS - T is for Trained Guerrillas, Spanish Guerrillas that is (45 pts)

Continuing on with my Napoleonic British Allies in the Peninsular War I present this unit of Spanish Trained Guerrillas.


In Sharpe Practice II terms, at a massive 4 points for this unit (plus 3 for the Junior Leader) they can easily be added to my force without breaking the bank and give me a little more flexibility.
I wanted to give the idea of troops that had "volunteered" (whether they intended to or not!) and had been given a musket and the bare minimum of a uniform - in this case some very nice red stocking caps. (No Alan and Paul, they are not Santa hats!)


Given some rudimentary training, they at least know how to stand and fire although rank discipline is still a work in progress.
The figures are once again from Brigade Miniatures (their Napoleonic range is really nice and characterful) and I had a lot of fun painting them. I do find non-uniformed troops a bit of a challenge as I get a bogged down in choices. I spent a lot of time searching for close to contemporary images and found a couple to guide me. The rich red I used for the hats was present in many illustrations as an accent colour; a hat, scarf or sash.


I am currently in the planning stages (OK, I have flights and nothing else booked) of a trip to Spain to do a battlefield tour with a friend and fellow wargamer so Peninsular War units and battles are at the front of my mind. 
These fine fellows are also part of AlexK's side challenge to build a Sharp Practice force, this brings me to a total of 26 points of SPII army. More disciplined troops to follow! Plus another letter off my personal Alphabet Challenge.



In AHPC points these Trained Guerrillas are 9 x 28mm - 45 points. Unfortunately I can't remember if I achieved 325 or 375 points in AHPC IX. If the former, I have a new PB. Otherwise, I am soooo close.

John's Sesame Street tour adds another letter.  I think the trick is going to be not doing Zulus for Z.

That's a nice group of ragged guerilla's that can have a lot of uses in your SPII games.  Good luck on your planning for the trip to Spain, I'm jealous.

9 comments:

  1. Lovely looking guerillas!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  2. A fine body of skirmishers. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Guerilla's are an important part of the Spanish forces in the Peninsular War. They also make for great fun in scenario's for skirmish games like Sharpe Practive and you've done them up beautifully!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well done John. Love the red caps.

    ReplyDelete