Wednesday 23 December 2020

From LeeH - (Hall of Traps ) Ghoul lying in wait

My gaming origins are very much in D&D and the old Red Box version of the rules. I was introduced to the game by a good friend of mine at school and over 35 years later I'm still playing with him and others from those early days of gaming. So when I saw the bonus rounds would be the Chambers of Challenge, and then looked at my pile of unpainted figures from that period, I knew it was a match made in heaven. 


Some of the categories will be a challenge to fill, but I reckon I can get some really old figures painted and on the games table this winter. Although it has to be said most of my roleplaying takes place online now, so the need for figures is much reduced. So instead of painting models for D&D, or just for display as in previous years, this time my bonus entries will be painted for use playing Frostgrave. 

And so I light my lamp, ready my sword and descend the stairs into the notorious dungeon known as the Chambers of Challenge. The first room I encounter is the Hall of Traps and here I find a Ghoul has taken up residence. Hiding behind a column the Ghoul lays in wait for the unwary or inexperienced hero. Many an adventuring career has been cut short in this room... but not today. 



This is figure is 25mm tall and was made by Grenadier sometime in the 1980s. The date cast into the bottom of the solid base was partially filed away so all I can say is it was sometime in the '80s which makes this ghoul quite an old boy. I've also painted the column he is hiding behind and mounted it on a custom base so it snugs up next to him (so I could say he was lying in wait) but that's such a basic paint job I don't expect any points for that. 

(Scoring: 1x25mm figure and 20 bonus points for the room = 25 points)

16 comments:

  1. Great looking old school ghoul! I'm also reusing my 1970/80s D&D figures for Frostgrave, it does seem like a d&d reboot!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  2. I played D&D for a few years when I was a teenager and collected some Grenadier sets which I still have. Most of the minis are unpainted; I might have to dig out a couple for a challenge or two.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been hooked by Frostgrave (and all the rest of Joe McCullough's games, too) so I'll be reviving some old school figures during the Challenge, too. A great ghould to begin with! Look forward to more.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Splendid gribbly you did there. I've not played Frostgrave for years, but I ought to start again.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great work I love the through the window shot. Looks like something you might see in a D&D book

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, lovely old school ghoul. Nicely done Lee.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great model and paint here mate! Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Bringing it this year mate, top drawer 👍🏼
    Regards KenR

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nice work Lee. Once you’re undead, age matters a lot less.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This makes for a very nice vignette, good combo!

    ReplyDelete
  11. "I want a ghoul,
    Just like the ghoul
    That harried dear old Dad..."

    Splendidly creepy ambusher there Lee!

    ReplyDelete
  12. That old piece holds up extremely well!

    ReplyDelete