Wednesday 23 December 2020

From StuartL - The Graves Have Risen From Their Dead - 30 Points

No, you haven't misread the title of the post. For this entry, we will be entering the Golem's Haunt in the Chambers of Challenge, and while it may be more common to create Golems from flesh or bones, the one I have painted up is a little different. 

Presenting the Gravestone Golem, made from 100% free range Graves.


Graverobbers beware, this titanic tombstone of terror is more than happy to fill empty plots with anyone it can lay it's marble mitts on.


Though useless for flight, the golem sports a natty pair of wings made from the fences around the graveyard. Though no-one has any idea who created it, or why, the Gravestone Golem is massive and is capable of crushing nearly anything in it's path.


The mini comes from Reaper's Bones range of minis and was a lot of fun to paint, being mainly washes and drybrushing over the base coats. Shown here next to a 28m Ringwraith for scale, you can see how big this beasty is. It stands nearly 60mm tall to the top of it's head, so I am going to score it as a 54mm foot figure. That gives me 10 points, plus 20 for the chamber, for a total of 30 points. As you'd expect, there are a few skulls on this mini, so I will be putting my first 12 Skullz onto the scoreboard for that side duel.

27 comments:

  1. That's a really cool golem, nicely done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Look for me tomorrow and you will find me a grave man!" A brilliant idea and very nicely executed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh thats really! Cool.
    12 Skullz? Game on mate :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Game on indeed. I'm sure there'll be a lot more skullz by the end of the challenge.

      Delete
  4. Nice work on an unusal... err.. figure!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. Finding the most suitable unusual figures is one of the perks of the challenge.

      Delete
  5. Great work on this massive rock formation. Hopefully I should be able to outrun it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Peter. I don't think it's very fast, gravestones aren't renowned for their speed.

      Delete
  6. Splendid looking construct!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  7. I picked up that set from Reaper as well great inspiration to paint. I have to admit the quality of the Bones minis did improve over time, but now that I've discovered the 3D printing hobby I'm not sure if I would go in on any of their sets again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 3D printing does look like it can produce some nice pieces, but sadly I don't have a 3D printer and my money to buy one keeps getting spent on Reaper Kickstarters.

      Delete
  8. A great figure and well painted

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very cool. Love the wrought Iron fence.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That's a big old unit !
    Regards KenR

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As minis go, it's fairly chunky. Luckily it is mainly all one colour.

      Delete
  11. Haha! That's an awesome looking golem. Love the wrought iron gates (wings) sprouting from his back.

    ReplyDelete
  12. That is really cool. Is That the correct term for a Golem

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you can call Golems anything you like. They'll still squish you regardless.

      Delete
  13. That is bloody fabulous

    Cheers
    Matt

    ReplyDelete
  14. That’s a very cool miniature!

    12 skulls duly counted.

    ReplyDelete