Wednesday 23 December 2020

From SimonG: Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more - Curtgeld (45 Points)

Which seems an apposite quotation for my Curtgeld -- the Perry Henry V from the Agincourt English leadership metal set. As my main project for the year has been a late 1420s HYW French and English army for Impetus I don't have any need for good old Henry!


I'm at the tail end of this now with just the English leaders and men at arms to finish -- as you can see below. So expect lots more plate and heraldry. 

My Workspace (or the kitchen table!)

The first of my leader bases is John Falstof (who we know better as Falstaff) here with his standard and a musician. This is a light adjustment of one of the Perry Agincourt French leadership figures - I kind of hate this relief heraldry as it an absolute bear to remove -- free hand all the way for me. 

Sir John Falstof



The standards are home printed and inspiration for the characters is drawn from this invaluable resource.




Anyway first time for me on the AHPC having enjoyed the quarantine challenge earlier this year. I'm newly back into the hobby after 40 years away -- got started again this time last year and the HYW has been my main project since then. 

For the rest of this challenge I'll be finishing this up along with something quite different at 10mm plus a selection of fantasy figures from a source I suspect no one else is using -- these should help me explore some of the Chambers of Challenge!

For today that's three 28mm foot for 15 points plus another 10 for the mounted making 25 points and 3% of the way to my target!



26 comments:

  1. I really love the colours, so vibrant!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jeremy -- one of the main reasons I chose this period, nice and colourful and almost no uniforms!

      Delete
  2. Welcome aboard Simon, lovely work on the heraldry. You are a brave man for taking on this project.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Peter -- I have gotten to like doing heraldry, the trick is to use a fine line pen to establish an outline and/or add in detail (although seems I was a bit approximate with the scallops in this case -- macro photography is pretty unforgiving!)

      Delete
    2. I always apply the two foot rule to my painting. Yours look wonderful at six inches.

      Delete
  3. Lovely work mate! I have a bunch of the perry models for a WotR force I plan to get done during this challenge! Looking forward to seeing more of your work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the kind words -- all of the "rules" about livery and banners put me off WotR! Seems you can get away with more in the HYW :-)

      Delete
  4. Thanks Ray -- good to get more stuff out there

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice to see continuity from the quarantine challenge and your 100 years war figures were great then and now! Henry V looks ace on his charger,lovely heraldry!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Iain -- it seems like a long time but I have the end in sight -- I worked out I already have enough to re-stage the Battle of the Herrings so maybe I can get that all out (without the crazy Scots alas)

      Delete
  6. Nice to see you back after Q challenge, lovely figs
    Regards

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ken -- I'm working on mixing in some different stuff as well -- just going off to get that primed now in fact

      Delete
  7. Very well painted indeed, they are a joy to see. Great that there will be more!

    ReplyDelete
  8. First, welcome to the Challenge Simon! It's wonderful to have you here with us, especially after a 40 year hiatus! Lovely work, especially with the detail on the heraldic devices. I look forward to seeing this project develop over the coming months.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Curt -- most of the effort in heraldry seems to be finding references (some of my men at arms are pretty approximate!) but at least with the historic record I know that the people I am painting up were at least there

      Delete
  9. Beautiful work, welcome to the show

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Martin -- the pace of postings and the rate some people get work out is quote astonishing! Although I've sped up I still cannot manage to output more than a couple of pieces a week

      Delete
  10. Really nice work on the heraldry. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Stuart -- must keep the brushes in good shape! Especially now all the shops are closed with us in Tier IV!

      Delete
  11. Welcome back to the hobby! You haven't lost your touch - these are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually you should have seen my teenage work -- horrible, all Humbrol enamels and splotchy!

      Delete
  12. Champion work on the heraldry, almost completed my Armagnac French army for HYW, soon I will commence my English MAA.

    Cheers
    Matt

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Congratulations on that Matt -- and good luck with the English, I actually find them easier then the French given the preponderance of plain plate with fewer jupons to worry about!

      Delete
  13. Wonderful work on a very quotable king!

    ReplyDelete