Wednesday 23 December 2020

DaveS - Hall of Traps

 Good morning.  This is now my 3rd painting challenge, and while I was pleased with my efforts in the first one, the last one was more disappointing.  I didn't achieve any of the locations on challenge island, and was well below my target points.

So this year, I have decided that I am going to make sure that I get some points on the board early.  Luckily, I have 2 very good game stores very close, and so as soon as the map for the chambers was published, I was able to rush out and get some models to complete the chambers.

So, I present my first entry, the Iron Maiden.





I don't think there is any doubt that anyone in this would be considered "trapped". It has come from the Wizkids D&D range, and so was pre-primed.  The doors were able to swing open and closed on 2 flimsy plastic hinges, almost like a toy, and so I have deliberately and permanently glued them shut to make painting easier.  One of the consequences of this is that they don't fit exactly right at the front, but they are, I think, close enough.

One thing I have noticed, having painted a few of these models is that I am never very inspired by them before I finish them.  I always worry they look a bit flimsy, and aren't as nice as I'd hoped.  I have also noticed that I've never yet had one that, when I've finished painting it, I haven't been happy with.  Obviously flexible pre-primed plastic has some sort of magic in it.


So that's 25 points (5 for the model and 20 for the chamber) I hope to get me started.

10 comments:

  1. Great looking trap. Now that it is glued shut, any victim placed inside will surely struggle to escape. The pre-painted D&D stuff always looks pretty poor to begin with, but is surprisingly detailed once you put some paint on it yourself. Nice work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent opening paint job. A device like that makes you want to run to the hills...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah, you sure made this maiden sing... Nice work!

    ReplyDelete
  4. More Murder in the rue Morgue, excellent!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  5. Quality, could do with one of these for the local feral kids 😁

    ReplyDelete
  6. Terrific work DrD. It seems every mini, no matter how ugly or poorly cast, looks a thousand times better when painted. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very cool, like that a lot

    Cheers
    Matt

    ReplyDelete
  8. The ill-fitting doors give the poor occupant a cruel glimmer of false hope...

    ReplyDelete