Saturday 9 January 2021

From ByronM - Necron Indomitus box set ( 205 points)

I went into this painting challenge with a plan, really, I did.  Part of that plan was to get my Necron force started, which consists of the Warhammer 40,000 V9 Indomitus box set showcasing a pile of new and cool looking Necron models.  However, it was very low on my priority list as there were other things I wanted to get done first in case I ran out of time.  Well, after doing the one model for the Golems room and seeing how fast they painted up and how easily I could get them out of the queue, I had a squirrel moment and moved them to the top on the list.

Below is an image of the brand new Skorpekh Destroyers squad led by the Skorpekh Lord.  This unit should give the Necrons a much needed boost in hand to hand combat, which illogically is apparently what rules the new edition of 40k.  Seems odd that in the far future melee is better than shooting, but since when has GW ever made sense with their rules (except in almost every NON core ruleset they put out).

Next up are the new scarab models, which I really like as they used to be separate models but are not all connected and snap into the base as one piece.  I think it gives more of a swarm look than the old 3-4 individuals on the base.

 Next up are the Necron warriors, which are also new models (about time).  These warriors are pretty close to the old ones in body style but change the guns significantly, gone are the transparent green rods you had to glue in, now the guns are solid, which is much better for assembly and hopefully how long the models hold up (the old ones broke all the time).  I painted up 2 units, but am only showing one here, since they are almost identical.  I did one with purple flowers on the base and the other with blue flowers so that I can easily tell them apart.  When I get more I will boost both squads to 20 man squads, but for now they are each 10 so that I have 2 troop selections.  The one thing I dislike about the new models though is they are on 32mm bases.  I have no idea why everything keeps going to bigger bases, they take up way too much tabletop space.
The image below shows most of the characters and individual models that come in the Indomitus box.  Starting from left to right are: 2x Cryptothralls, a Plasmancer, a Plasmacyte, a Royal Warden, and an Overlord.

Here you can see two of the characters closer up for details.  The lighting sucks a bit so the glows do not show very well, bur are there around each red spot.

As you can see from all of the images, the paint scheme is very simple and basic.  However, I feel that is OK with Necrons as they are mainly metal anyway.  The paint job was essentially painting the silver, bronze, and red then washing with Agrax Earthshade.  Then coming back to repaint the red and shade around each red feature, then highlighting it up to  yellow to make them pop.  Do some basic ground work and call it done.  The whole force was done super quick, but I think it works well due to the colour scheme and basing.  

There are a total of 37 models in the force, 36 being submitted here.  Of those most count as normal 28mm models and the other 5 count as about bike or mounted infantry size.  This means I should end up with 205 points for the submission.  Overall, not a bad haul for about 2 days of work!


25 comments:

  1. Wow! That’s some good production. I’d love to have an army get vaporized by these guys. Great work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good output! StuartL has convinced me that ‘crons are one skull each, so 26?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Barks. Probably on the skull count, but I am not in any side challenges, so pretty sure it doesnt matter. If there is one I should have entered it would have been the squirrel one!

      Delete
    2. No worries, I've taken it upon myself to count all skullz for interest!

      Delete
  3. Nice work Byron! They really look like a shambling mass straight out their metal tomb. Like the rusty hue the Agrax gave them, works well with the orange glow effect.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much. While they where very quick and basic I really love how fast they were to do and am actually pretty happy with the results as well.

      Delete
  4. Oh Byron I wish you hadn't done that! Now I feel like I should be painting up my own Indomitus box as well... excellent paintscheme by the way

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel you. I just finished assembling my Necrons for the challenge too

      Delete
    2. Thanks guys, and why worry about it, just embrace your inner squirrel and change gears to paint your necrons as well! :-). I can't wait to see what you guys do with yours.

      Delete
  5. That's a decent points bomb, Byron. But I hate Necrons. They're refuse to stay down!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel your pain, I don't like playing against them either, hence joining the shambling horde. In the new addition they are both better and worse at getting back up.... Single wound models are even harder to keep down now (much harder by the looks of it), but multi wound models stay down much easier. Strange, but then that's GW for you.

      Delete
  6. Excellent work on this reanimated bomb!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really like the finish, it's just a bonus it's fast! Excellent work!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those turned really nicely Byron. Hand to hand is such a sci-fi staple.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it Peter? To me HTH should almost NEVER happen in sci-fi.... GW is so screwed in their logic it's not even funny.

      Delete
  9. I have the same minis in my own challenge pile. Yours are very inspirational.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Stuart, hopefully I will get a chance to see yours shortly as well. Any ideas on your colour scheme? I came up with several that I thought would look good (was thinking a white/beige ceramic look with blue glows and even did one test model and it looked awesome, but took 4x longer so went with this simpler one instead), I think the trick to making them look good is simply to make them different than metal and green. Then people are instantly attracted to it since its not the same as most others. I could be wrong though.

      Delete
    2. Haha, sadly my current Necron army is in the classic Silver/Green scheme.

      Delete
  10. Nice work Byron - this may yet inspire me to finally crack open my own “Indomitus” box.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Greg, it would be interesting to see your take on them.

      Delete
  11. They have bigger bases, so that take more table space, so that you need less miniatures, so that the GW needs to manufacture and create less. For a GW business plan, sounds great, eh?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thats a great selection of figures, love the little electronic spiders
    Regards KenR

    ReplyDelete
  13. Really good stuff. I have been doing a lot of 40k painting and building lately. Inspired by the Grim Dark Future easy to understand rules. Love the ash bases. Suits the cold stare of the Necrons and love that you didn't go glowy green on them. The warm heat of the areas looks awesome!
    Cheers

    ReplyDelete