Saturday 9 January 2021

From StuartL - A Mausoleum for the Tomb - 33 Points

As I draw closer to the entrance for level 3 of the Chambers of Challenge, the final room before me is The Tomb. Luckily I had the perfect model for this all ready to go even before the Chambers were announced. One of the Reaper Bones 3 Kickstarter rewards was a graveyard themed expansion, which included a small mausoleum, which I had planned to go alongside the Skeleton horde I painted earlier in the challenge.


The building consists of a removable base plate and a removable roof, for ease of access. It's cast in a hard plastic, unlike the usual Reaper Bones material. The front door opens and closes as well.

And I just noticed that I missed a spot in the back corner. I'll have to go and touch that up with a wash later.


The roof is painted in a mix of Vallejo Foul Green and Cold Grey to give the oxidized copper look that seems common on old church buildings. 


There are plenty of skulls on the outside and inside of the building. To give it that creepy tomb feel, I painted the skulls and bones on the interior as if they were real bones embedded in the walls rather than just a carved relief.


The mausoleum is a reasonable size for terrain, measuring 7 inches in length, 5 in width and about 4 high to to spine of the roof. This makes it about 140 cubic inches, which equates to about 13 points based on a Challenge Cube being 216 cubic inches. An additional 20 points for the chamber makes a total of 33 points and opens the way for me to proceed to level 3. There are a grand total of 43 skulls on the interior and exterior of the structure, which will go towards the Skullz side duel.

My running Duels totals:
GW Points - 287
Skullz - 143
Squirrels - 6

12 comments:

  1. Good work on the skullz! I like the oxidised copper look; I'm planning something similar when I make it this far through the Chambers...

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's one awesome mausoleum indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great model - reminiscent of a real tomb not too far from here!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, though hopefully the one near you won't turn into a battleground between some dwarves and some freshly reanimated corpses anytime soon.

      Delete
  4. Looks great, love the colour of the copper roof.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Peter. I think it turned out rather well.

      Delete
  5. Great looking tomb Stuart. I really like how the colour of the roof looks against the grey of the tomb itself. The only thing its missing is some crows perched along the top.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Super looking mausoleum!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  7. Super creepy terrain 👻
    Regards KenR

    ReplyDelete