Tuesday 26 January 2021

From MartinC - More ACW Union Infantry? (134pts)

 One of the great joys for a fast painter like me is that ACW is easy. Lots of block painting, little webbing, bit of shading and Bob's your Uncle. No fancy lacework, very few stripes and no effing tartan.

So I present to you my last planned ACW Union infantry regiment, the 79th New York Highlanders. No wait. What! Highlanders! Surely not.


Yip, tartan. This bunch of fancy dans fought for the 1st few years of the civil war in tartan trews and Glengarry (not Glenross) hats. At the 1st Bull run they rocked up to the sound of the bagpipes, must have put the fear of God into both sides. Not so much a Rebel Yell, more a Union cat strangle

These figures are Crusader and great to paint, although every time I touched them some paint came off, not a problem that normally happens and an undercoating issue.

So the tartan is the Cameron of Erracht tartan and there are at least 8 different designs or this that would work, so I picked this one. The checkerboard on the hat should be red white and blue but that was too hard.
The 79th fought in 13 major battles throughout the war from 1st Bull Run to to Spotsylvania so plenty of opportunity to fight

Scores on the doors
24 x 28mm infantry = 120
2 flags = 2
Total 122pts


Ahhh, the glorious sound of the traditional Scottish Highlands cat strangling. Only slightly less terrifying than the death cry of the hunted wild haggis.

I'm giving a half-point bonus per figure for the tartan trews, so that should give you 134 points.

Tamsin

20 comments:

  1. Great looking yankee Highlanders!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great looking tartan on those highlanders

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like this 7nit. I’ve heard of the regiment but have never seen it modelled before. Tartan and hat dicing require application of the three foot rule and you’ve done well wit( these lads.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. cheers, the tartan I had planned had a much lighter shade of yellow but they looked stupid on hte test guy so I darkened it.

      Delete
  4. They look absolutely fine to me and I admire your brave interpretation of the tartan. Definitely consider it a succes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you, try not to paint tartan unless I have to, it's the road the dusty death

      Delete
  5. Tartan is certainly one of the more challenging things to paint, and you've done a great job with it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ta, don't tell anyone but I quite like painting stripes

      Delete
  6. Another great ACW unit Martin, who doesn't want to stroll around with tartan trews on !
    Regards KenR

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great work! I love the odd ball uniforms of the early ACW.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers, me too. Quite fancy some rebels in Sicillian hats

      Delete
  8. Great looking figures Martin. Nice work on the tartan!

    ReplyDelete