Tuesday 26 January 2021

From Mike W - [Oubliette] Warhammer Lizardmen Regiment (90 Points)

Whilst skulking around my piles of figures, looking for old Warhammer Skeletons to press gang into my new Egyptian Undead mini project, I came across some sprues of Warhammer Lizardmen that had remained forlornly in a box of bits for many, many years.

Completed Unit of 14 x Lizardmen

Mixed amongst them were a also a few Beastmen, these need some more work to pull together into a presentable unit for the challenge - need to find a lot more bits in the bowels of the plastic pile - but hopefully there'll be something to see in a few weeks time...

Another view

So what we have here is 14 x Lizardmen, including a Standard Bearer and a Musician, I must assume the Leader for the unit is around somewhere but to date (well over the weekend) I could not find him.

Unit's Standard Bearer and Musician

My guess is that these figures have been languishing near the bottom of the pile for about 16 or 17 years, time enough to give them a nice lick of paint...

I opted for a Green and Ochre colour scheme for these creatures, highlighted with red accessories and a lavish amount of 'old' gold for decorations, along side various more natural spikey bits on their shields. The weapons I'd keep muted, with black spear shafts and a slate grey blade, with a shiny silver cutting edge!

Three of the Lizardmen - more close-up view...

As usual I undercoated in white before painting the creature's under bellies an ochre colour, then I used  a bright green to do their upper halves and some smaller scales that extent along their limbs into the more general ochre areas.

Three more lizardmen

Their mouths got a red wash and teeth highlighted white, spikes along their back were done in natural  pale ochre colour, some were capped with golden ornamentations. A Dark Tone wash was applied all over.

Shields were painted on the sprue

I left the shields on the sprue and painted these red with gold trim and 'natural' horn spikes where needed, these were washed with black ink. Where I have to dos a lot of similar shields I often leave them on the sprue to get a consistent feel and  then superglue them in place when ready.

This approach also means I can be painting the shields whilst the figures are drying and vice versa.

Final view of the scaly creatures

I have deliberately left the figures with a gloss finish as I wanted to convey that they are wet, I need to figure out some way of reflecting this on the bases - i.e. puddles of water etc.

POINTS

14 x 28mm Figures @5 Pts each = 70 Points

Oublette Bonus                                20 Points

                                           TOTAL 90 Points


Those lizardmen look the biz. A well-earned 90 points for you.

Tamsin



9 comments:

  1. Like them, they look suitably slimey Mike

    Cheers
    Matt

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great looking old school lizardmen!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  3. A splendid regiment! The ochre and green go together well. I was just wondering, isn't hard to remove the shields from the sprue without leaving marks on either the shields or the paintwork?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well rescued; the shields look great!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice work on these Lizardmen.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Old school Lizard Men 🦎 cool 😎
    Regards KenR

    ReplyDelete