Monday 31 January 2022

From PeteF Goblins for Arda (50 points)

 

My background is in historical wargaming and many moons ago, when I was thinking about branching out into fantasy there were no skeletons, orcs, goblins, ogres, lizards, dwarves or elves on my shelf of shame*.  Fortunately a generous local wargamer gave me a bunch of Night Goblins for my SAGA Age of Magic army. I've been a bit slow bringing them to the table - other projects distracted.

If you've not played SAGA - I highly recommend it for it's innovative activation system - it's a great skirmish game to give you an excuse to paint up new historical or fantasy factions or dust off some minis that haven't seen a table for a while. It can be competitive or friendly depending on your preference. I introduced SAGA Age of Vikings to my local group a year or so before the pandemic and it's gained a life of its own - now we have Age of Magic, Age of Crusades, Age of Hannibal and Age of Invasions - with more to come!


A few of these night goblins got painted for Challenge XI - I went with red hoods because there are "Red Goblins" in Mantic's Kings of War fluff. I'll eventually put magnets on them so they can be ranked up on metal trays for Kings of War. They got red shoes like the old pope.  I'm trying to get more hilighty with the light gray on the black cloaks - still looking for tips on this - would dry brushing work better?

Picking out the teeth was enjoyable - nice sculpts from an earlier time at GW.

6 x 28mm infantry = 30 points plus 20 for a new planet = 50 points

1 squirrel point (total 4)

1 skull (total 1)




*this has been rectified and all of these are now represented

Well these old school Gobbos are the Pope's Shoes Pete!  Love the red on the shows, cloaks and those little chromes on the standard.  I confess to not having taken to SAGA, I find it rather gamey but that's likely because it doesn't suit my rather linear thought processes.  

10 comments:

  1. I don't know what 'little chromes' are, but I do like the little 'shrooms on the standard. :)

    Great work Pete. I'd like to try age of magic as I think it would lend itself nicely to the SAGA mechanic. As to highlighting black with a brush, I typically don't drybrush as I like more control over the effect. Vallejo has a nice Dark Grey and Gunship Grey that I use for highlighting blacks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the highlighting tip - going to try those or close to them next time

      Delete
  2. I really like these old school gobboes and their bright colours. Really lovely work.
    Cheers, MikeP

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very nice rendering of some classic models. In the 'Olden Days' of the early '90s the bows would have been red too.😁

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now you've got me thinking that red bows with maybe black straps would look better - maybe time for some repainting.

      Delete
  4. Very nice black and red combo on these greenskins!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the skull on these classics!

    ReplyDelete
  6. These old-time Warhammer Fantasy goblins always tug at the heart strings...and make me want to send Reiksguard Knights riding straight over them...

    Great painting.

    ReplyDelete