Monday 31 January 2022

MikeW Warlord Games ACW Epic - Union Regiment (216 Points]

I've had these figures under my workbench pretty much since they were released by Warlord Games, about a year or more ago, the concept really caught my imagination, although I have a pretty large 15mm ACW collection, I wanted to get in on this bandwagon.

The Union Infantry Regiment with accompanying mounted Officer and Artillery Battery

I did paint-up one stand of Rebel figures but my enthusiasm was dampened by the fact that my old eyes were not quite up to the job (in my opinion!). There's a reason why my preferred gaming & painting scales have gradually increased from 15mm to 25m to 28mm and now the heroic 32mm figures!

So the sprues have languished under the workbench until now. With Warlord now releasing their Napoleonic Epic figures and hinting that there may be other period in the works I thought it time to retry the concept!

Close-up of the Infantry Regiment

So here is a 'bog standard' Union Regiment of 100 figures on five stands. I undercoated these all with Ultramarine Blue - yes a departure from my usual white. I thought that due to the scale it might work better to go with a base colour that needed little further work.

I added sky blue trousers the same evening - although these had to be retouched due to me missing a lot of detail - due to poor light. Lesson learnt! Boots, hats and belts were added in black, I used a Black Sharpie pen for the belts but paint for the rest.

Close-up on Officer and Infantry

Muskets were done in brown and then steel barrels added before adding in brass details on muskets, belt buckles etc. Flesh was then added along with a variety of hair colours.

I then spent quite some time fixing my mistakes and better defining details etc before applying an Army Painter Dark Wash.

Close-up on Artillery and Infantry

Basing was tricky - I added one rank at a time, with fine sand and electrostatic grass, before repeating when adding the second rank. 

I did a similar process for the gun and officer figure.

Close-up on Artillery Battery

Controversially, when it came to points I have taken a per figure value of 1.5 Points each. In my opinion these are not 15mm figures, they actually match 12mm figures pretty well, so I have gone for a mid point value between 10mm & 15mm figures as noted on the Challenge listings.

Finally a close-up on the Officer, apologies for the quality of the shots,
photographing such small figures is a challenge in its self!

TOTAL POINTS

100 x 12 15mm Foot                 = 200 Points

4 x 12 15mm Artillery Crew       =  8 Points

1 x 12 15mm Gun                       = 4 Points

1 x 12 15mm Mounted Officer = 4 Points

TOTAL                                  = 216 Points

A 100 man unit isa bog-standard in 15mm?  You are out epic scaling Yorkshire Ken at that rate Mike!  My eyes have pushed me into scale creep too, I nearly got into 54mm gaming at a couple of points.  But no less of focus on these lads, they look great up close and even better  lined up en masse.  Conventional Minion wisdom (i.e Tamsin) tells me that the Warlord Epic figures have been scored at 15mms so I've adjusted your points accordingly.

6 comments:

  1. You have been very productive this past week, Mike! Nice work on these troops! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice boys in blue and very many, too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great looking epic infantry!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice work Mike. I have to say, I am tempted by this sort of thing as well...one thing that holds me back is the lack of flags - where did you get yours?

    ReplyDelete