Friday 25 February 2022

From JasperO: low budget fun on Babylon 5 with some T34s (72 points)

Tamsin asked me on my previous post where the “lovely vehicles” (her words) were. Well, here they are. The Red Army is often portrayed in (older) books and movies about WW2 as a giant sledgehammer, rolling forward with hordes of cheap T34s racing out to meet the German defenses. I believe that idea has now been discredited thoroughly, but I’ll happily claim it today to claim the score for Babylon 5.



Today’s offer consists of two T34s. One (the one with the tank commander) is the Rubicon T34/76 with the later turret that comes with the T34/85. That kit comes, fortunately, with two /85 turret tops that each have a commander’s cupola. I carefully cut one out of a spare and attached it to the M1943 turret to make it into the final version. TL;DR: I glued some plastic on other plastic and stuck a Rubicon plastic commander in it, and provided a saw from their new Soviet Stowage set. 

This T34 is one of the earlier Rubicon plastic sets, somewhat simple, but far more detailed than the Warlord Games offering. It is only let down by the very simple tracks, and the driver’s hatch in the front hull which requires a lot of filing and putty to fit well. The Warlord T34 is equally old, quite a bit simpler (but with nicer track details) and comes with a very specific rounded late model turret , a somewhat odd choice. For some added interest, I painted two tank rider figures, ready to defend the tank from Panzerfaust-wielding ambushers, or jump off and take the fight forward. 

Two tanks, two-and-a-half figures and the Babylon bonus should net me another 70-something points, I think!

From DaveD
Very nice T34's - always one of my personal favourites, and a fine job you've done 



10 comments:

  1. These are beauties - very, very nice Jasper! As Dave says, you can never have too many T-34s...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was wondering where the real Jasper had gone, and here we are with some lovely tanks from him! Nicely done! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have to say I'm sort of sick of seeing Russian tanks right now, but these are lovely. Well done Jasper.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely looking pair of T34s! I've been assembling my rubicon T34 for about 3 years, I really must finish it off!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome looking T-34's. The variation in the shades of green on the hull, along with the weathering is fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good looking T34s, I'd like to see these older designs in the tv more nowadays. Very nice brushwork!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jasper, you're a master of colouring and weathering, these are thoroughly convincing, even if it is, as you say, an unusual turret (quite knew to me). Not sure if the T34 compares to those small but nimble defenders of B5, the Starfuries, but fair enough.
    Cheers, MikeP

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your tanks, they are so nice.

    ReplyDelete