Tuesday 22 February 2022

From SarahHC: 'Dodger' in Two Scales

 

Hello Everybody

For this weeks post, I have painted the same figure in two different scales. Oh, the joys of having access to both a 3D printer and a technician/man servant in the house.

“Dodger”, is a Young Steampunk Girl 3D print from Velrock Art that I found on MyMinifactory.
She was originally printed as a 40mm figure, I then asked Curt to print a slightly larger 50mm.

Dodger, as in “The Artful” is a crew member on Lady Sarah’s Star Yacht. She is talented in the art of crowdsourcing - items, information , anything really to benefit the Star Yacht.



The original Artful Dodger, Jack Dawkins in Oliver Twist had a great respect for old Fagin and willingly turned over his daily pickings to the old thief. Is not the motto Honour Among Thieves a loyalty to a code? My steampunk Dodger is definitely loyal to the Lady Sarah and the Star Yachts crew.

With this in mind, I will use the mini Dodger as my planetary fulfilment (Istvaan, planet of Loyalty/Betrayal) and the larger Dodger as my ticket to summon the Star Yacht to zip off to Aarda (planet of Fantasy/Tolkienesque)



I have painted both Dodgers in the green & black livery of the Star Yachts Crew. Like the other crew members I’ve painted, she also sports big black stompy boots, and as a nod to her Victorian Steampunk origins a top hat and brass goggles.



This is a cool figure, but I did find the pose of hand on hat rather challenging to paint under/around, the ruffled blouse & details on her frock coat were fiddly to pick out. But that issue is more because of my beginner brush skillz.



The mini Dodger, I used as a ‘test’ figure for the paint scheme. I wanted her frock coat to look like Dodger had put it together herself, but I didn’t like the end result… too busy with the sleeves and alternate green/black panels. On the larger Dodger, I still kept the black & green colour blocking but a more simplified look.


The other Star Yacht Crew members all have items of a personal flare .. Dodgers Top Hat and goggles were the obvious accessories to paint in a colourful and distinctive fashion. I used many different shades of red on the hat and I’m pleased with richness of the colour. I hope the hat does look like she’s swiped it from some tipsy toff!


Points-wise:
Both figures I’ll claim 7pts each, as one is 40mm and the other at 50mm.
Istvaan planet bonus 20 pts
Ticket to Aarda bonus 20pts
54 points total

Thanks for reading, I’ll report to you from Aarda next week!

- Sarah 😊



I think that this may be a first - the same figure painted in two scales in the same post! When I saw the post title, given the SciFi theme of this Challenge, I thought it might be "Dodger" the GroPo who hooked up with Chief Garibaldi on Babylon 5, but a steampunk Jackie Dawkins is just as good.

Tamsin

24 comments:

  1. Really like this mini in either scale.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thx!
      Both figures will be fun to see on the tabletop

      Delete
  2. love the colour scheme, great work

    ReplyDelete
  3. Two great looking figures Sarah.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice work, Sarah! Dodger is certainly looking sharp in the green and black. The top hat is indeed very vibrant. She was right to swipe it as it not only matches her coif and outfit, but is also a perfect perch for her optical PPE! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am a firm believer in being excellently accessorized!

      Delete
  5. The wonders of 3D printing, able to create and paint the same mini in different scales and usd some as test minis. You are turning a pro rather soon. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great work on the two Dodgers. The tile had me going with Duck Dodgers in the 24 1/2th century.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely brushwork Sarah - that 3d printer of your must be working overtime for you both!

    ReplyDelete
  8. They both look wonderful, Sarah! And that’s definitely not a beginner brush skill there

    ReplyDelete
  9. oh this is a brilliant rendition of Dofger indeed! I most.y know of Dodger through Sir Terry Pratchett's book called Dodger based on the Dickens novels. Butthis is a cool way of looking at the character

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your Dodgers are most artful indeed Sarah! What was more fun to paint, the first where you were making decisions? Or the second where you were painting to a style/palette already set? I find both have their own merits.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Millsy
      Yes, this was an interesting exercise, I think if I were to do this again, I would use the larger figure as a ‘test, - more room to explore colour, figure out the details, etc and then the smaller figure could benefit from a more precise hand??
      The first figure was the most fun, because no decision had been made. The larger Dodger was harder to do, even though I had decided to basically replicate the paint scheme. As I was painting her, I kept thinking of other colour options ..

      Delete
  11. Lovely pair of figures!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love Dodger and am not surprised that there is an authorized livery on the Star Yacht. Also not surprised that Tamsin is as big a nerd as I am, as I also made that B5 connection with Dodger. Lovely work.
    Cheers, MikeP

    ReplyDelete