Thursday 16 March 2023

From Jezt: Post 9 - Warrior Monks 28mm (45 points)

Hi All 

Hopefully can squeeze this on the last Thursday - some Warrior Monks from me. No not Samurai (is it me but dont seem to have seen many of these this Challenge) but instead Late Crusaders, Hospitallers, Templars, Teutonic's and well just monks 

These are for a new Late Crusader Basic Impetus army designed to take on my brothers new Khwarazmian army that he has been posting up. Originally thought I would be painting a Mongol army and started to read this new book appropriately titled "Mongol Storm".


I definitely recommend this as a brilliant study of 13 century geopolitics of the area. This book introduced me to the Battle of Fordie 1244 when a combined Frank-Syrian army took on a Khwarazmian-Egyptian army - well got smashed by them would be a better description. Anyway I was reminded of a great illustration I had fseen in a Medieval Warfare special magazine "The Art of Medieval Warfare". 


With is as inspiration I also remembered I already had some painted Teutonic Knights figures that never get used - mainly as I tend to use the Basic Impetus set armies now rather than larger "points based" armies from the main rule set. These could become the core of the new army and if I used sabot basing I would be able to use some of my newly painted Anglo Norman spearman - although the basing might be difficult. 

This is how I got on - firstly these are the existing bases for redeployment. 


These are the new painted figures - all Footsore Miniatures. Two mounted and eight foot with five that I have based so far. 


Close of new Footsore figure painted as Hospitaller Knight

3 new figures - 2 foot and new mounted Hospitaller. Find Footsore mix well with Gripping Beast

  
Second Knight base with 2 new foot - this base mix of Teutonic's and Jerusalem Knights  

                     


New monk figures with sabot based spearman - these were painted this Challenge as Anglo Normans


Five bases done and main part complete

Overall really pleased with these and just a couple more Foot spear units to do. One of these will be using more new Footsore painted as Templars and Hospitallers. 

In total as strictly new figures it is 2 new mounted and 5 foot so 45 points in total. 

Cheers Jez

From TeemuL: A nice bunch of Teutonic Knights, again one setting I'd like to get familiar with. This post is not helping much, maybe a small SAGA warband? Enough of me, these are very nice minis and it was nice to get you onboard this last Thor's Day.

10 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Yes my Knights will be ready for a death or glory charge

      Delete
  2. Wonderful! These are so characterful, Jez. I'm going to have to find myself a copy of that book as it looks excellent.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You certainly did a fine job with these, Jez! Clever use of the existing figures. I like the variety on the bases, and the basing itself is very good too. Nice to see the force arrayed like this. Great stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Excellent looking Crusaders and really nice bit of sabot basing,seamless!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are cool. I like the sabot bases!

    ReplyDelete