Thursday 16 March 2023

From LeeH: The French: Philibert de Chandee & Bernard Stuart (67 Points)

This isn’t the end. It may well be my last entry to the Painting Challenge, but my quest to paint both sides of the Battle of Bosworth is by no means over. Indeed, after a weekend away visiting the Battlefield (and buying more books) I have added to my OOB and I have even more to paint!! But first, this week's entry is the ‘French’ contingent in Henry's army under the command of Philibert de Chandee.

De Chandee of Brittany was in command of the French mercenaries in Richard's army and played a significant part in the battle. These were experienced soldiers, fighting in a continental style that had not yet been incorporated into the English army of Richard III. Chandee was Knighted by Henry on landing in Milford Haven. It was these experienced troops, many of whom were Pikemen, who turned the fight. In some sources the long pikes of these troops stopped Norfolks Vanguard from moving forward, enabling Oxford to outflank the king's line. Alternatively, it was the bodyguard tactics of the pikes that saved Henry from Richard's final cavalry charge. Whatever the truth, it must have been significant because de Chandee was made Earl of Bath by Henry after the Battle. I have modeled these units with Crossbowmen rather than bowmen and as such, these are skirmish units of fewer men. Chandee himself commands Foot Knights/Men at Arms and Pikemen.


Next, we have Sir Bernard Stuart. As his name suggests he was a scot and in his role as Lord of Aubingy he was an ambassador between Tudor's allies in Scotland and the French court. He commanded Scottish troops who had been based in France and in my OOB he fights in De Chandee’s Battle. He fought many more battles for the King of France and King James IV made him a member of the Order of St Michael. He died in 1508 in his homeland of Scotland, aged fifty-six.


Up to this point, I was within sight of completing both armies. However, I was very aware that the army I had for Richard was not big enough and so I would have to add some extra units to give them the numerical advantage they had over Henry. I have just had a very interesting weekend away visiting the Battlefield of Bosworth, including the excellent visitor center on Ambion Hill. 


Standing in the field where Richard III probably met his end.

St James Church, Dadlington, where many of the dead were
buried after the battle. An annual service of remembrance 
is still held here every year to offer prayers for those killed. 

I also visited the Richard III center in Leicester and between them learned a lot of new stuff and came home with an armful of new books. One of these, Nobles and Knights Profiles by Bob Pritchard has been very useful and I have already amended my OOB to beef up the Kings army. I have several more weeks of painting ahead of me, long after the Challenge has ended, but safe in the knowledge that the majority of the work has now been completed.


I have a very busy few days ahead of me and I'm not sure if I'll get anything else completed before the end of the Challenge. If I can, I will, but in case my week goes the way I fully expect it to, I just wanted to say what a blast it has been this year. As always, taking part in the Challenge is an honor and a privilege. I've been constantly amazed at the quality and productivity of my fellow challengers and your efforts have inspired and spurred me on with my own project. As always I must thank Curt, Lady Sarah, the Minions, and everyone else involved in this crazy competition for the three most exciting months of the hobby year. 

Points Estimate
Philibert de Chandee - Command Base 3x6mm Mounted = 3 Points
De Chandee - Foot Knights/MAA, Pikemen, and Crossbowmen - 64x6mm = 32 Points
Stauart - Retinue/Billmen, Pikemen & Crossbowmen - 64x6mm = 32 Ppoints
Total = 67

From TeemuL: I have said it before, but is has been a joy following this project, how you keep focus and provide small extracts of history in your posts. And visiting the actual battlefield, great! I don't know, but I might be painting some WotR minis next year, and if I do, it is almost because of your posts! :) But let's see how the butterfly inside me flies...

13 comments:

  1. Excellent additions to your growing (perhaps they'll hit 7mm? *lol*) armies for Bosworth! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Again, great submission Lee. I have really enjoyed your background to your quality brush work. Well done

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's been a very interesting project. Very well researched and nothing like visiting the battlefield. Hope to see you around next December

    ReplyDelete
  4. A fine group of foreigners to fight for the Welsh Usurper Lee. I look forward to seeing you round out the OOBs.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Another fine post Lee. I look forward to seeing continued progress on this project on your YouTube channel.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Splendid additions to your War of the Roses project!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's been a tremendous project to watch, Lee. I like the picture of you on the battlefield. Like you, I find the research to be just as fun as the collecting and painting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just about managed a selfie with a serious face.. For most of my visit I had a big grin on my face, like a kid in a sweet shop. My poor wife followed me around, through several muddy fields, and let me nerd-out to my hearts content. šŸ¤£

      Delete
    2. She's definitely a keeper then! Sarah is a history nerd, so thankfully I don't have to do much convincing when we travel.

      Delete
  8. I’ll join the others in saying how much I have enjoyed your progress with this great project. I’ll watch out for the continuation of the series on YouTube and/or your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  9. It has been Fabulous Project Lee, well done

    ReplyDelete
  10. Brilliant work Lee. I'm so looking forward to a game with these figures!

    ReplyDelete