Tuesday 23 January 2024

From Curt - Japanese terrain for 'Hametsu' [Overdue and Returns](50 Points)

I figure a new game requires new terrain, so here are some tabletop additions for our ongoing 'Hametsu' adventures.

First up is a Japanese family grave. I understand from my reading that these grave markers are called Haka. In doing a bit of research I found that they often are adorned with flowers, incense, and sometimes have these long, elegant wood planks called sotōba. These boards would be inscribed with the names of the deceased and set beside the formal stone markers. I've done a somewhat crude facsimile of sotōba using thick paper, scribed with ersatz kanji, stained and then glued into place.  3d models from Terratribe Scenery.


These bamboo barriers are from Village Hope Miniatures. I thought they'd add a bit of colour and texture to our miniature streets and alleyways. I used this picture I found online as a reference for painting.


I really liked the look of this whimsical little tea 'cart' from CobraMode. 


I thought it would serve nicely as a 'Loot Marker', or perhaps just as an interesting little accent for the tabletop. 

Several of the scenarios in 'Hametsu' are set within built-up urban environments, so I figured that some formal walls were in order. These are 3d prints from Making Tlon which I've scaled to fit my figures. These were started prior to the Challenge but now benefit from a few extra sections, a good highlight and some cleaning up, so I'll claim them as my 'Overdue & Returns' entry. I decided not to glue the wall sections together as they look alright separately, and it allows me to store them away more easily (I think I can go out on a limb and say storage is a going concern for many of us in the hobby).

All of these would fill 1.5 6x6 cubes, so I will claim 30 points, plus 20 more for 'Overdue & Returns'. 50 points total.

I'm not exactly 'on fire' with my Library progress. I need to attend to this...

Thank you Martijn for letting me join in with your Tuesday team!

- Curt


Another great Hametsu entry, Curt! We are very proud to have you as one of the Tuesday Troopers today, and boy is this a nice contribution! In all their modesty those bamboo stakes are very lifelike, I love the way you accomplished the transition of green into light brown. The grave markers are great too, and what a creative and effective way of making the lettering! I'm afraid my Japanese is a little rusty, so whether they commemorate some beloved relative or are just an order for salmon sushi I can't tell, but they absolutely look the part. The tea cart is a little jewel, likely to be of use in many a game. Your table lay out looks quite impressive already! I would have loved to have a more close up view of the walls, but set out on the table like this they look excellent. Of course you can have your Overdue and Returns bonus, but I would be remiss not to remind you that, although you know the Library like the inside of your back pocket, a map would have been nice to track your progress ;-).

50 points for the Head Librarian!

Martijn


23 comments:

  1. Thanks again Martijn for being my minion today and for reminding me about the library map! Added!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great terrain bits - very evocative. Love the final terrain table set up picture!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My goodness Curt the quality of paint work here is amazing the bamboo looks real, the table setup would be a dream to play on bringing the game to life. love the tea cart, just fantastic

    ReplyDelete
  4. Excellent terrain. What a fabulous table to play on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tom. Yeah, the little table is nice for these smaller skirmish games.

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. Thanks Barks. It was custom made for me by a girlfriend's dad. At least I made an impression on him. ;)

      Delete
  6. Quality standard again, Curt! I especially like the bamboos, they look like sugar canes from Minecraft, which seems to be the main interest of my 8 year old son. If I had those bamboos, I might lure him back from Minecraft world to real miniature game world. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really liked working on the bamboo. I think it's sweet that your boy is enamoured with bamboo. There's a lot worse things for them to get fixated on. :)

      Delete
  7. Top notch as ever! Love the little tea barrow

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Jamie. Yeah, it's a cute little piece for sure.

      Delete
  8. Love additions to the table top. I hope to be using these bits to hide from Oni.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Pete. Yes, let's hope we can make good use of these over the coming months.

      Delete
  9. Those are wonderful details; I really like the green to yellow fade on the bamboo- very nicely done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rob! I find Contrast paint works well for doing fades like this - using a touch of contrast medium for blending is key.

      Delete
  10. Exellent work dude, beautiful accents like that really help "make" the setting on the table!

    ReplyDelete
  11. That's great Curt, I could look at that last picture all day if only somebody would pass by with a mop every 30 mins and clear up my drool

    ReplyDelete