Tuesday 23 January 2024

From JP: Scottish Structural Madness (100 points)

I have always been a fan of George MacDonald Fraser, starting with the MacAuslan books, moving on to Flashman and then, eons ago, The Steel Bonnets - a history of the Border Reivers. Something about the Border Reivers bit deep and I have come back to the topic a number of times in my wargames years - usually ending with dissatisfaction with the rules or the figures and selling them. 

Flags of War launched a dedicated set of rules and figures for the Reivers some time ago. I took the plunge with their Kickstarter. I still had the sheep, pigs, Angus cattle and dogs waiting patiently to be allowed out....

A couple of years ago I had also made a sizable investment in Grand Manner buildings, they are one of the best miniature building firms in the market. Their Border range is significant: walls, cottages, stables, and not one, but 2 kinds of Bastle House... 

My logic was that they would also serve for Fantasy and D&D gaming, as well as Sharpe Practice.

This is a Bastle House - a fortified border 'manor' of the Elizabethan period, livestock on the ground floor and humans above, usually. Very hard to assault... look Ma, no windows (or hardly any)! It provided refuge when your neighbour came calling with mal-intent.


Over the past 18 months I painted much of the building order, but bogged down  with the 2nd Bastle House. It sat ignored as it represents a time investment that I prefer putting into figs... So, as I am dragging out challenging items that have languished on the shelf...  and as it might even fit into Overdues and Returns...

Other than the bone undercoat, the Bastle House is painted by hand, 7 layers of paints and washes for the outside walls alone, as well as the inside (which is a bit more roughly done). Yes, I am a Luddite as I have no idea how to use an airbrush.

Stage 4 looked like this:


After a few stiff Scotches and many more hours, we have this, 8.5 inches wide, 6.5 inches deep and 6 inches high :






The inside has a dirtier ground floor for the livestock, a second floor with wooden floor, slate chimney and white washed walls affected by smoke. 





So, I am hoping to claim :
 -  4 x 6 inch cubes                = 80 points
 -  Overdues and Returns      = 20 points
Total                                      = 100 points

I realise that the depth is only 6.5 inches, but as there is both an inside and an outside as well as a 1st floor...

Thanks for looking folks and do read The Steel Bonnets!

From Millsy: I think this may be my favourite terrain entry of 2024 so far. Such an evocative period and you cannot go past Grand Manner kit for quality and detail. I'd love a painting tutorial on how you did these JP as the stonework is spot on, just the right blend of hues, and the attention to detail is superb. Definitely worth 100 points from my POV! Love it.





24 comments:

  1. That’s one really smart house and both the interior and exterior are first rate. A centerpiece of any table

    ReplyDelete
  2. Reivers are a topic I also keep coming back to but have not pulled the trigger yet. Your wonderful Bastle house is really reviving the itch too - well done indeed!
    +1 to Millsy's request for a tutorial please!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Delighted to offer one - as basic as it may be! Must check how one does that here.

      Delete
    2. Strewth - just realised I've followed your blog for years!

      Delete
  3. Great building - well done

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's a great looking building!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Grand Manner buildings are very nice. Your Bastle House looks fantastic. I am currently reading The Steel Bonnets!
    Jonathan

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's a fine bonny piece of kit! Lovely end result. I find it helps not to count the number of. washes applied to terrain bits.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right, but I keep saying, I'm a slow a**l retentive painter lol.

      Delete
  7. This is an excellent piece of terrain/work. The Grand Manner Buildings are superb and you have done a spectacular job on this one. Many happy games in the future JP.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is a fine looking house, JP! Quite the diorama, well done.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fantastic stonework. I never realized they kept the animals on the ground floor. Definitely need to do some reading about the area and time.

    ReplyDelete
  10. A fabulous lump of terrain. I feel a draft and get chills just looking at it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great work JP.
    Can you burn peat in there to keep warm, or am I thinking of the wrong house? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not alot of peat in the area as I recall - further north and Ireland.

      Delete
  12. Great stuff! I love Grand Manner buildings and you really did a fine job on this one. The courtyard pavers are outstanding.

    ReplyDelete
  13. That's magnificent realistic-looking stone.

    ReplyDelete
  14. well done , a quality paint job that makes it look realistic

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thank you all for your comments - I'm more than a tad overwhelmed by the responses !!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love the Grand Manner buildings and you've done great work on this one.
    Richard

    ReplyDelete