Tuesday 23 January 2024

From SimonM: Donald Loves the Bomb by "Red Star Coven Miniatures" [Famous Person] (35 points)



This 28mm scale resin model of 'Donald Trump plummeting to a thermonuclear death' was produced by "Red Star Coven Miniatures" and could be purchased as Donald Loves the Bomb from their Masters Of War range. Sculpted by Darren Edwards, I picked up this two-piece kit of the former President of the United States just over three years ago, and am sad to report that it is now Out Of Production (OOP).

Despite coming with a plastic flying stand, this figure was always destined to be a statue of the controversial politician, so I purchased a resin plinth from an "eBay" seller to use as a pedestal, and super-glued it to a plastic 65mm circular base. The stone altar was primed using a couple of coats of "Vallejo" Heavy Bluegrey, shaded in "Citadel" Nuln Oil, and dry-brushed with (more) "Vallejo" Heavy Bluegrey.

I also took this opportunity to 'pick out' its metal plate with a smidgeon of "Vallejo" Gunmetal" and (another) dose of "Citadel" Nuln Oil. Finally, I finished off the plinth was some strategically placed trickles of "Citadel" Agrax Earthshade and Biel-Tan Green, before giving it a last, light dry-brush of (more) "Vallejo" Heavy Bluegrey.




With the pedestal finished, I super-glued Donald to the bomb (which was much easier said than done, as the businessman didn't fit at all snuggly upon his ride), and applied two layers of "Vallejo" Heavy Sienna to the ensemble. I then layered him with "Vallejo" Bronze. washed the model with “Citadel” Agrax Earthshade, before giving the Republican a dry-brush using (more) “Vallejo” Bronze.

To help weather the statue, I subsequently applied various amounts of “Citadel” Nihilakh Oxide in between the sculpt's joints and ridges. These areas were later roughly blended back in with the rest of Donald and the bomb using a (third) dry-brush of “Vallejo” Bronze. Lastly, I drilled a deep hole in my plinth and used a piece of an old broken plastic spear shaft to attach the ex-President to it.

Obviously, I thought this objective/scenic piece would make an excellent submission for the Analogue Hobbies Painting Challenge's Famous Person Library desk, as the man seems to appear in the national news every day currently.




In addition though, I felt I might as well pigment this 53mm tall scale resin model of a Titan by “Crooked Dice Game Design Studio” as I used exactly the same painting scheme as Donald Trump's statue. The base miniature can be bought as SKU: MINI 94 Titan A (Reaching) from their Villains and Monsters range. However, despite the multi-piece kit containing two separate arms, I decided to 'field' the mechanical monstrosity carrying a Hammer and shield taken from the company's metal Titan Weapon Arms (SKU: DEAL 85) instead.

Two x 28mm scale foot figure = 10  Points

Famous Person Books Bonus = 20 Points

Total = 30  35 Points

 

Ah, Donald. Oh dear. Oh well. But whatever your feelings, it's a fine model and you did a fine job on him. I'll leave it to the Head Librarian to decide whether the statue deserves a place in The Library and where, but I do think you've earned your bonus! The titan looks great as well, I love the patina effect! However, as you state it is a large figure I'll score it as a 54mm figure. So 35 points for you.

Btw, love the library stamps on your map!

12 comments:

  1. I agree with Martijn that the patina effects are wonderful. Well done Simon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks ever so much Peter. Much appreciated :-)

      Delete
  2. Very nice effects on statues, good job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. "YEEEEE-HAW!" "Many people are saying that the bomb was, well, a great thing. HEE-ROSH-IMA." Nice work here Simon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fabulous entry Simon. I really like the patina effect.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great work on the weathering

    ReplyDelete
  6. How many magatonnes is that?

    ReplyDelete