Tuesday 23 January 2024

From PeterD: Late Roman Slingers and Cavalry in 28mm (72 points)

No library sections today, but two units for my Late Roman armies based for To The Strongest.




First up a unit of 4 light cavalry with javelins.  I've named them after the Equites Dalmatae who served under the Dux Britanniarum and were noted as being stationed at Praesidio.  It is unsure where this is exactly, but best guess is somewhere in Yarkshire, maybe between York and Doncaster.  "Dalmation" seemed to be  type of cavalry rather than a place of origin and is often interpreted as being light cavalry with javelins.  Useful for running down raiders, patrolling frontiers and harassing flanks.  Being a Limitanei unit, there's no shield pattern for this unit meaning that I get to make one up.  I've gone with a Chi Rho in white on red.   Figures are plastic Gripping Beast from their Late Roman light cavalry box set (which is very good value and very useful).


Haven't added labels and I took this pics early in the morning and didn't want to wake anyone up by running the printer at 7am on a Sunday.  Also I need to check if I already have a unit of Dalmatae.




Next we have a unit of 6 Funditores or light infantry slingers.  During a business trip to Vancouver this summer, I picked up two Victrix Late Roman plastic kits which were put away until the Challenge, and then lost when I went to assemble and prep them!  Fortunately they have since turned up.  One kit was for Late Roman archers and slingers, which I plan to use for Roman and Barbarian units.  The ratio of bow and staff sling arms to regular slinger arms was not what I'd wanted but the kits have nice bits and I'll get some useful units from it.  I like the variety of loading and shooting poses plus the various types of slings (at least for the Romans, not so much the Irish!).   And there are tons of head options.  


Again no labels.  I may assign these guys to an existing infantry unit.

Love the motion in firing figures.


Points for this week

  • 4x 28mm cavalry = 40
  • 6x 28mm infantry = 30
  • Total = 70
I should be able to count these against the Legions and Auxiliaries side duel if I can figure out how to do that!


Ah, it pleases my Late Roman heart to see these! And very nice to see some limitanei too in stead of all these flashy, dandy,  high-and-mighty comitatenses types. We all know who really does the heavy lifting, don't we? Love the self-designed but believable shield pattern too. I'll throw in a couple of points for the hand painted shields to make it 72 points. Well done Peter!

Martijn


15 comments:

  1. Cheers Martijn, should be some more Romans later in the Challenge. Someone has to man the wall and Saxon shore forts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great work Peter! Love late Romans. Do you find the Victrix 28mm models to be huge, or do they fit well with others?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Greg. They fit in very well, in fact I've swapped body parts between Gripping Beast and Victrix plastic kits. Victrix have also improved there flexibility over the early Napoleonic kits where you were limited in some cases as to which torsos went with which options.

      Delete
  3. Very impressive production. Your horses are superb. The white spots on their forehead adds a realistic touch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sylvain. Don't worry I'll slow down - I'm teaching an extra class this semester and it's got 150 students. Most horses have some sort of white facial markings and it helps add variety to the unit.

      Delete
  4. Great work Peter and very nice additions to your collection.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great additions to the collection, Peter!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very nice indeed, not sure who my money would be on in a fight between them

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much Jamie. In open ground the cavalry, in rough terrain the slingers get the nod.

      Delete
  7. lovely entry Peter, Victrix are producing some great figures recently and you've shown them off nicely

    ReplyDelete