Saturday 16 March 2024

From BenitoV: Panzer I Ausf A with 20mm Breda Gun (20 points)

In my final entry for this year's challenge, I present one of those armour "rarities" from the Spanish Civil War - the Panzer I A tank with a modified turret designed to mount an Italian Bread 20mm gun. This tank was primarily used by Franco's forces.


The history of this model is closely linked to the T 26 tank. During the Battle of Seseña in October 1936, the rebels were taken aback by the firepower of the Russian T 26, which outmatched the lightly armed Panzer I and CV 35 tanks supplied by Germany and Italy at the beginning of the war.


The response to a new threat was to mount the Bread 20mm gun on a Panzer I hull, which had the capacity to penetrate a frontal 40mm armour plate. Four tanks were quickly converted in 1936. However, after the Nationalist army captured and put into service a significant number of T 26s, the project was abandoned. 


Hence, the Breda Panzer was rarely seen on the real battlefields of Spain in the late 30s. Nevertheless, it will make a nice addition to my gaming table.


This is an Eskice 3D printed model in 28 mm. Although it has a simple design with not a lot of detail, it is enough to add something different to my table. Most Panzer Is used I Spain were painted in the typical panzer grey color of the Wehrmacht. However, I have found evidence that at least one of the Breda models was painted with the cammo scheme used in my model, a sort of yellow-ochre tone (the sources are unclear) over the original grey.  



This entry adds 20 points to this year's Challenge scoring.

____________________________

Very interesting research behind this model, Benito. I find it fascinating reading about in-theatre weapon system design as you sense the almost frantic readjustment of plans as events unfold at the front lines. I also really like the one-off camo scheme that you've reflectet here. I think I may have to hunt down this STL file for my own SCW collection. Finally, thank you for joining us this year, Benito. It is always a pleasure to have you in the Challenge.

- Curt 


7 comments:

  1. Nicely done on this rare AFV!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice to see these historical rarities. Great work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting entry - I just finished reading Max Hastings' book on the Spanish Civil War. I hadn't realized how much both the Soviets and the Germans used it to test their staff.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great model Benito and background as well. Well done.

    ReplyDelete