Monday 18 March 2024

From ChrisW A last, crazy post [513 points]

This last post will be another mixed bag of stuff as I try to complete what I can of half painted projects started in the challenge. 

Deep Ones [23x 28mm]

A mix of figures, a lot of the old Grenadier miniatures but also some new bigger guys thrown into the mix.  I did some deep ones in a previous challenge but just did not get around to these. I think I have now finished all my deep one figures. Sadly the bigger ones were only completed today, too late for the game we played this past Saturday that featured them. 



Cultists in gas masks [14x 28mm foot, 1 crew manned machine gun]

All but one of these are Pulp Figures, not certain where I got the 'leader' figure. At one point in the challenge I thought that I would finish off all of my cultists, but alas one group of 16 or so figures remains unpainted.





Junks

These two junks started off as cardboard models, the insert tab A into slot B type of model. They were a pale 'wood' coloured model with lots of detail on them. Unfortunately they were not 28mm scale details even though the ships were of a good size. So, I snipped off all of the tabs and did my best to fill in any gaps and then painted them. I was determined to obscure the detailed images but also preserve the etched texture of the planks. I left the sails as they were and the masts. It was a more time consuming task that I anticipated and was just barely able to have them done in time for this past Saturdays game.





DIY Shuttle craft

So a bit of a kit bashing to make a shuttle out of a kids toy. Mostly needed to remove some bits, block up some gaps, add some 'fans' and give it a paint job. The real challenge was what colour to paint it. In the end I could not decide which is my excuse for why it looks like it does.

Tried to give it a bashed up look (beyond the questionable paint job)

The toy as purchased



Sci-fi Tripods

Just what I needed, more tripods! This time not AQMF but Sci-fi tripods of a different sort. Not certain about the windows, they did not come out quite the way I thought they would, I may have to revisit them some time down the road.



Manga

The closest I have to Manga is this freebie figure from Alternative armies. It was included in an order I made a few years back and I really had no use for her. I figure the armour looks kind of like Manga ans certainly the purple hair helps.



Sarah's cart

One of the Blue Moon miniature Vampire hunter figures to allow me to use the cart. (for the first time this challenge)


Local history Huron

Another free figure this time from Bob Murch. It is a pre contact Huron native in wood armour and flint spear. In my youth, my family traveled across Ontario to Fort Saint Marie among the Hurons. While that fort was built well after the time period that this figure represents it was one of the traditional locations of the Huron nation.





 Sarah's cart and Russian Adventurer

One of the Blue Moon miniatures spy figures to allow me to use the cart.


History section

So a journey to the wild west and some lawmen. Up front we have 'Bat' Masterson the famous stick wielding lawman. Then behind him I have added some Pinkerton agents. I believe they are all Artizan miniatures.





Finally a few more figure to round out the challenge. I painted a few extra female characters in case I needed to ride the cart a few more times. All are Blue Moon figures.








So the totals

  •  115 points for 23x 28mm Deep ones
  •    80 points for 14x 28mm Cultists with gas masks plus machine gun and 1 crew
  •    40 points for 2x 28mm junks
  •      8 points for 1x 15mm shuttle craft
  •    20 points for DIY section 
  •    60 points for 3x 28mm tripods
  •   20 points for Sci-fi section
  •     5 points for 1x 28mm Manga Heroine
  •   20 points for Manga Section
  •   25 points for vampire hunter and Sarah's cart
  •     5 points for 1x 28mm Huron 
  •   20 points for Local history section
  •   25 points for Russian adventuress and Sarah's cart
  •  30 points for 6x 28mm foot Bat Masterson and Pinkertons
  •  20 points for history section
  •  20 points for 4x 28mm foot Blue Moon

Total  points 513 points

And more importantly...more squirrels!!

 Squirrels this post +5

Squirrels to date [18]

  1. Hammers Slammers
  2. Ikwen alien infantry
  3. Hanuman (Alien) vehicles 
  4. New Swabian league armoured vehicles 
  5. Rats
  6. Scarabs 
  7. Mercenary Sci-fi vehicle
  8. NAC Sci-fi vehicles 
  9. Foo dog statues
  10. Terracotta warriors  
  11. NSL Bikes
  12. Generic sci fi vehicles
  13. Civilian sci-fi vehicles 
  14. Egyptian cultists  
  15. Mud Men 
  16. Ladies of the evening (and Jack)
  17. Halfling artillery
  18. Venetian Gondolas 
  19. English Bobbies
  20. Deep ones
  21. Cultists with gas masks (Pulp Figures) 
  22. Tripods
  23. Junks
  24. Wild west lawmen

 and 60 points of big stompy robots of death!!


______________________________________

Wow! Chris, you give us a wonderful parting bomb with your last post (and a blitz through the library). So much to admire here. Deep Ones, Cultists, Junks, Tripods, oh my! I always have a soft spot for anything by Bob Murch, but I have to say that my faves are the lawmen and the female pulp characters. So awesome.

You've had great Challenge this year, Chris. I hope we see you out for the next edition. :)

- Curt

7 comments: