Thursday 7 March 2019

From NoelW for Thursday: Miscellaneoisity (145 points)


My third and final post this week is a miscellany, so a little longer. It contains Crusader Arabs, Renaissance Irish and a zoo's-worth of animals.

Firstly, the Arabs. These are Gripping Beast figures. We’ve already seen several of them during the Challenge. They’re quite simple. Unremarkable, in fact. I think the relatively flat surfaces of their robes might make them good candidates for elaborate decoration, but I’ve not attempted that. Instead, I’ve gone for a combination of white robes and bright colours.




The Irish you might think you’ve seen before, as I made twenty nine of them the subject of my Mercenaries submission. However, I was missing one set of six at that time, which I bought on Saturday, so here they are. Six kerns with pole arms:




Finally, the animals. EMP miniatures asked me to paint up a family of penguins:




And a dinosaur:




Not one to squander a squirrel opportunity, I cast around to see what other animals I had awaiting the brush. I thought the variety would make a nice change from all those uniforms and shields. In fact, I found over thirty different animals in the collection, awaiting attention, but I’ve not attempted them all, as yet. Here's the work in progress. 

To start with, I found I had a goat (no idea of manufacturer):



A snow leopard (Reaper):



A bear (from a cheap set of toys, but in reasonable 28mm scale):



A gorilla (same set of toys, but way out of scale, so really a “monster”):



An Indian elephant (an ornament from a Charity shop, but a good match for scale):


And an African elephant (another toy. It’s like a Britains model, but there’s no copyright message, so it’s probably a clone).



Scoring:
The 9 Arabs and 6 Irish are easy: 75 points

But I’m not really sure of the best way to score the animals. The penguin chick is 14mm (2 pts?) and its parents 20mm, (presumably 4 pts each). The goat, bear and leopard are pretty standard 25/28mm figs and the gorilla is 30mm, so 5 pts each, making 30 pts.
The elephants are both 60mm which would make them each 10pts+. But I see in previous posts they’ve been counted as “vehicles”, which would make them 20 pts each.

Oh, I almost forgot: plus two invisible Squirrels.


Well that's a relief, I thought you were going all samey on us! Nice useful Arabs and I really like your Kern, I would really like to get some but I must reduce the mountain first! All the animals are rather sweet but I'm impressed with your elephants especially as they are toys! So to points 145 to add to your total!

All the best Iain 



9 comments:

  1. What a great selection Noel :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great selection of figs Noel. I’m rathe taken by your penguins, and I like your repurposed toy animals.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great work Noel.
    I have some of those Gripping Beast plastics myself, and simply cannot bring myself to get them painted...hopefully seeing finished examples like these will get me moving!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely work - I have a soft spot for penguins - might need to get some of these - though I'm not sure for what - Valley Forge? Retreat from Moscow? I'll think of something.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's quite a collection Noel.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a wonderfully colourful and mixed entry. The patterns on the animals are very good you have the textures nailed!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awesome stuff and a great variety. Cheers

    ReplyDelete