Tuesday 19 March 2019

KenR : 28mm Italian Wars Project Wrap (181 points)


My personal challenge within this challenge was to complete at least one unit of Cavalry a week, a unit being 6 figures or more and this post completes that little personal goal.

Here we have 18 more 28mm Italian Wars Cavalry with a flag which should net a lovely 181 points for both the main total and the Renaissance Side Duel.


First up are 6 Light Cavalry to go with the 6 I did a couple of weeks ago. The big push to get this project moving has been my two days of mass horse production, by doing the base colour in acrylic paint using a dry brush and then applying the oil wipe I was able to comfortably do 80 to 100 horses in one day.

The 6 new figures in their parent unit.
It's so much easier grabbing 6 painted horses off the shelf, the horse furniture still to paint, than staring at a set of blank figures, it feels like your already half way there. It's certainly something I intend to continue post challenge, my two main projects Italian Wars and Crusades are both Cavalry heavy so I have already had another "horse" day with another due soon.


The remaining 12 figures form their own unit of Lance armed Stradiots, these are metal figures from the Perry's range and my second unit of Stradiots, there fierce raiders will add a nasty sting to the flanks of my army.


I have really managed to stay focused in this challenge and having 6 weeks off work was a bonus (if not slightly painful due to the injury) so I have ploughed through my Italian Wars Project much quicker than I thought and they will be out on the table at the local club in a couple of days.


Although this won't be any last post of the challenge it will be of the Italian Wars Project so I would like to say a big thank you to all of you for the kind comments during the course of the build. There will be more to come but the figures done in this challenge will form the bulk of the army going forward.


My favourite unit of the Project was the Papal Pike Block the colours, figures and flags just seem to work really well together.



Just remains to leave you with a couple of teaser photos of the madness that was Project Italian Wars, I will do a full army review on Yarkshire Gamer and of course a Challenge wrap post on here when we are done.

See you tomorrow for my secret side Project.

From Guest Minion JamieM - 
I think there must be a typo..... 80 to 100 horses in a day?!?!?  I stand impressed!  I've never had to paint many horses, but I've seen plenty on this hallowed blog bemoaning how un-fun they can be to paint so I doff my cap to you sir!

Anyway, these are the same excellent quality that we've frankly come to expect and that army shot is gorgeous - are you painting the army for the other team or is someone else putting the opposition forward?  Brilliant stuff and 181 points it is.

31 comments:

  1. Cheers Jamie, the great thing about the Italian Wars is most people fought each other at some stage and the armies were full of Mercenaries who fought for whoever paid the most.
    Thankfully there are 4 or 5 others joining the Project.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ken, for me your Italian Wars project has been a consistent highlight of this challenge. Those final group shots are just jaw dropping. Fantastic work and a fantastic project. Nicely done sir!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Lee, certainly kept you busy on Team Tuesday 👍

      Delete
    2. Me and Lee were chatting about your Italian Wars output last week Ken. You'll be getting my vote for your body of work that's for sure!

      Delete
    3. That's very kind guys, thank you 👍

      Delete
  3. Well done on keeping up with the "6+ cavalry a week" goal Ken. It's been great watching this project and the massed ranks look most impressive :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely light cavalry! The army shot is awesome! It's been fantastic watching you building this army!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much Iain, I am amazed that I stuck at it without getting distracted

      Delete
  5. Such a beautifully realized project - well done Ken! Bravo!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ken this project has just been stunning, with the final post just as good as every other one. Love those Stradiots!

    Personally I never understand the hippophobia some challengers seem to suffer from. I really enjoy painting horses, it gives you the chance to play around with various combinations of colours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Peter, very kind. The new bucket method certainly takes away the pain.

      Delete
  7. Fantastic work Ken, congratulations on plowing through a big project like this, and doing so in style!

    I love the head gear of the stradiots too...kinda a unique!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Greg, it's been a joy, especially now that it's over 😉

      Delete
  8. Great unit and what an impressive collection!!

    Christopher

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yeah. What Big Lee said. And everyone else - impressive output and artistry.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Awesome work Ken, your doggedness in getting this project going on is inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much Sander, for once I stuck at it 👍

      Delete
  11. Awesome work Ken! It was great to see this project develop and that final picture is absolutely impressive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much, just finished some better pics that will be up soon.

      Delete
  12. In every Challenge there will be one project that really captures my imagination. Last year I think it was the fabulous Tomb Kings, this year it is without any doubt this fantastic Italian Wars project of yours. Very well done indeed, it as been a pleasure watching the entries rolling in and I wish I had half your talent! Well done again, and thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. That's very kind of you. The encouragement you get during this challenge certainly helps to push the envelope 👍

    ReplyDelete
  14. Well done Ken, you played a blinder, lad!
    ; )

    ReplyDelete